Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you dont feel like reading please just scroll to the bottom.

Ok, so today i got some time off work... So i figure i will give some time to my s13 that has been in the garage for over a week now getting a 5 speed swap done. I got to the pilot bearing and was tring to get a grip on it with some vice grips and pull it out for almost 2 hours with no luck, then i tried some flat heads and a pry bar... No luck... Then i said screw it and went to advanced auto to rent the puller. I brought it home and cursed the hell out of the bearing telling it that it's time was over, and contenued to threaten it as i installed to bearing puller. To my suprize, the puller didn't work. Then i inspected the puller and the bearing to understand why it didn't work. I then cursed the bearing some more and started pulling and prying on it again with no luck.

So, i decided to take the puller back, and head to auto zone to see what they had. Well, they had this nice looking puller that looked small enought to get into the gap... so i picked that up and decided to go with the huge 5 pound slide hammer ( I wanted massive overkill for this stupid bearing!). so i bring the tools home and curse the bearing some more, install the tool, install the hammer onto the tool and start pulling on the hammer. I smashed my finger twice, my left and right thumb and pointer finger are killing me and guess what. That tool wasn't small enought to dig into the gap. I filed the edges down hoping to get a better grip on the bearing and nope... Still slips off.

So, im now pissed at this bearing and decide to run the compressor and take the auto chizzle to it. I didn't want to tdo this in the first place because i was scared to slip and hit something but i had no other choice and im not hand chizzleing that thing out. So i flip on the compressor on low like i always do, then turned it to med for a second then flipped it onto high. As soon as i did all the lights in the garage go out and everything turns off. Im like..... [email protected]#$!#@$!5 this stupid A$$ F!#[email protected]#%ing SH!T. So i go to flip the fuse latch for the garage.. go back out.. . No lights. Flip it again... No lights. Im just pised right now and want to vent but more so...

I've tried 2 diffrent pullers and vice grips, numorus flat heads and pry bars.

Does anyone have any idea's on how to get a pilot bearing out without destroying anything?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used 2 tool's almost identical to that one. One was hand operated like the tool in the link, and one used a slide hammer. Both failed... epic failed. There isn't enought lip on this bearing for the puller to get in there and do it's job. Everyone that does the write up's for the swap just say's to "Use the tool and pull the bearing out"... It's not that easy, or maybe i just have a shitty one.

I promise you i am not an idiot and am using the tool's right... Im going in there with a dremel tommarow before work. that sonbiotch is commin out!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used one of those pilot bearing puller but the tool was too big. So i used a big coarse thread bolt and stuck it in there. I placed it in an angle so the thread would grab the bearing. Hammered the head of the bolt. Kinda like using a slide hammer. Came out pretty well, nothing was damaged.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used one of those pilot bearing puller but the tool was too big. So i used a big coarse thread bolt and stuck it in there. I placed it in an angle so the thread would grab the bearing. Hammered the head of the bolt. Kinda like using a slide hammer. Came out pretty well, nothing was damaged.
I see what your saying. I would have never even thought about something like that. I was tring to fankenstien the bearing puller to catch but no luck. I think i like your idea better than a dremal... Think im gunna give that a shot first. Thanks :dancingco

·
Registered
115 Posts
stuff bread into the hole. find something that will just barely fit into the pilot bearing, and whack it with a hammer. stuff in more bread. whack some more. stuff in more bread. you get the picture. it will start to work it's way out. i've done this before, and it works. it helps to have an old spare input shaft to hammer in there, as it fits the bearing tight and won't let the bread squeeze out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You confuse me... I would rather have toast.

I just chizzled it out on the inside enought to get the puller in there, and beat it out. Now the new one is being a pita to get in, but im sure i will figure it out tommarow when i can hold my eyes open.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
stuff bread into the hole. find something that will just barely fit into the pilot bearing, and whack it with a hammer. stuff in more bread. whack some more. stuff in more bread. you get the picture. it will start to work it's way out. i've done this before, and it works. it helps to have an old spare input shaft to hammer in there, as it fits the bearing tight and won't let the bread squeeze out.
Very interesting...I've heard the same about putting some grease in there as well. Just never had something that fit in the pilot bushing well enough.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You confuse me... I would rather have toast.

I just chizzled it out on the inside enought to get the puller in there, and beat it out. Now the new one is being a pita to get in, but im sure i will figure it out tommarow when i can hold my eyes open.
Sand where the bearing goes in. Make it smooth and lube it before you stick it in. okay you might have to hammer it in a little. I used a piece of wood as cushion and to keep it flat while going in.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was up all night last night using a brake cylnder hone tring to get that thing in there. It's greased all too hell and still doesn't just "slide" right in. I had to go to advanced to double check that it as the right bearing because numorus people say it slides right in, with a little force from a hammer. I was beating on that thing with a rubber mallet and it still won't go in. I just want to make sure that it does take a little force to get it in there, and that it is the right bearing (The guy at advanced seem's like a know it all idiot, so that scares me a bit). So i guess my question is...

Does the bearing slide in evenly with a little force, or does it really take some hammering to get it in there?

Thank's for all the help so far guy's. And "evil inside" i wanna see a youtube video of this bread idea... hahaha. Sounds wierd.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Figured it out guy's... thanks again!

One more thing...

Does anyone know the specs of the OEM clutch bolts? The clutch didn't come with the bolts and i cannot find the sizes anywere... Even in the FSM, which sucks for bolts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I said that all wrong.. Haha..

Im doing the 5 speed swap so i don't have the bolt's. It's an OEM flywheel, clutch plate and pressure plate. Advanced doesn't know, napa doesn't know, nore does auto zone (figures).. I've been a few other places too. Guess im going to nissan tommarow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts