Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some god awful reason my headlights do not go up nor down. However, after much experimenting with the relays, I can say that the motors are still good, as are the relays and fuses. Which sucks, since I can not figure out why the whole system together doesn't work. So, being a computer science major (lazy), I have decided rather than go over the entire electrical system, I should just get a controller that works directly off of the headlight motors themselves. Now don't start flaming yet, I have no intentions of spending 100+ on that stupid pivot thing. Heres my idea:

Start with say 5 switchs. 1 for up, 1 for down, 1 for wink left light, 1 for wink right light, and 1 for lazy eyes (at most switches + wire == 10$). Then, I want to wire these up into a microcontroller (like what, 1-2 bucks?) that has a clock. To my understanding, the factory system relies on time to run the motor, I.E. run it for (lets say) 9 seconds and the motor goes 180 degrees and the headlights change state (up/down). So, the microcontroller, if the sleepy eye switch is thrown, would run the motor 25% of the time to go up (if they are down), or 75% the time to go down (if they are down).

Assuming each head light has an "up" wire and "down" wire", the winking could also be done very simply. Give power to the up wire for the total duration and then power the down wire. Since up/down on each light is seperate, this would probably be the easiest part.

Now I am thinking I will need at least 6 inputs (all the switches + aux for an alarm or something), and 4 outputs (left_motor_up,left_motor_down,right_motor_up,right_motor_down). Also I figure since most microcontrollers run at 6V, I will also have to restep up the voltage on the way to the motor. I think that is about it, and guess what, it will only cost about 15$ at most, and maybe a few hours of assembly coding.

So I was wondering, anyone think this idea will work ? Or better yet, has anyone done this before and care to offer some nice hints ^_^? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well I for one can almost assure you that no one has done this. Unless your into flash, I would suggest just going up and down. I believe the motor works off of resistances, like a dimmer switch, when controlling the motors for the headlights. Personally I think it may have something to do with these rather then the relays and the motors themselves. I do believe your idea will work, I don't know why you want so many switches however and where your going to mount them! but I do believe it will work

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could do what one of my friends did and run straight power to two push button switches(one for each motor) and to the motors so when you hit the button the motor runs constantly up and down untill you switch it off. Its kind of a shitty way to do it because they dont go up and down together but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new to All of this

I like the way the lazy eye's look on the 240sx and I want to install them on my 240sx,but I want to be able to run the lazy eye kit at night with the head lights on, anyone got the time to give me step by step on how to do this. I realy need this bcuz after I do this I'm going to install a Origin lab body kit :scratch::mad2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
About rivivals...

If any one is interested in this topic...

We're a Spanish startup and we're about to release a PopUpHeadlight controller system.
It's plug and play (No modifications to wiring harness)
You can choose different control interfaces
Even custom ones
And we also have options for drifting builds.

We canot sell the product here so, we will open a post on comecial subforum

·
Registered
1989 240SX SE
12 Posts
About rivivals...

If any one is interested in this topic...

We're a Spanish startup and we're about to release a PopUpHeadlight controller system.
It's plug and play (No modifications to wiring harness)
You can choose different control interfaces
Even custom ones
And we also have options for drifting builds.

We canot sell the product here so, we will open a post on comecial subforum
I’m interested, where can I see more info?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts