Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. my car is 5spd but when im just driving and step on the clutch to change gear, i hear rear end jerking. like a hammer hitting the back of my rear end. i was thinking the tranny mount and engine mount needs to be changed. but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
78 Posts
that hammer sound is normal i think....i've had 2 5 speed 240s and they all made that sound, however my first one seemed to do it alot more frequently and louder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine does that hammer sound, too. I eventually figured out how to change gear "smoothly" so it doesn't make that sound and the shock...

Did you step on the clutch very fast/hard? Did you clutch before or after you release some gas? Also, did you release much gas when you change gear? Did you release the gas fast? In my case, these little things matter, enough to make the sound or not. You may try different techniques and see and feel if they help.

For your reference, I notice at the same time when my car makes that hammer sound, the RPM drops to usually 2k.

Oh, to answer your question, I don't know if that's normal or not.:12dunno

·
Registered
589 Posts
does it happen when you begin to engage the clutch? my first tranny did that, and current one (4th) i'm just assuming but i'm guessing its the teeth of the gears? when my first tranny blew out my car jerked violently right before. took apart my tranny and saw that first three gears were sheared to nada. might wanna check differential oil too

·
Registered
21 Posts
It Sounds Like It Might Be A Bushing That Holds You Rearend In Place, This Would Be Caused From You Dropping The Cluthch And The Rearend Torqing, If The Bushing Is Bad It Would Sound Like A Hammer, Or It Could Poss Be A Cv Axle Just Jack The Car Up And See If You Can Move The Rearend , Check Your Axles, And Your Driveshaft, Just Grab Them All And Give Them A Good Shake,

·
Registered
346 Posts
Almost all our cars have that "Clunk". There's a lot of information on the forums about these. You could...
1. Replace the subrame bushings but this would require you to remove the rear subframe, and force the old rusted bushings out and replace them.
2. you could simply get Collars from SPL parts. They seem to work and get rid of the clunk.

·
Registered
433 Posts
adoboboy said:
Almost all our cars have that "Clunk". There's a lot of information on the forums about these. You could...
1. Replace the subrame bushings but this would require you to remove the rear subframe, and force the old rusted bushings out and replace them.
2. you could simply get Collars from SPL parts. They seem to work and get rid of the clunk.
cool ive been trying to chase down that clunk since ive owned the car maybe i'll have to try that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts