Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my rb20 has been overheating for a while now....
i bought a mishimoto alluminum radiator with 2 10in electirc fans and a nismo thermostat to try to fix the problem. my water temp guage doesnt work. i bought a KA ect that i have to hook up still. when i do i garentee its gonna read hot. b4 i changed all these things my antifreeze would boil over after a while. then i took it out yesterday for like 20 mins and the antifreeze was smoking from the radiator. i fear its the waterpump but its not leaking and its not making any noise.....

any suggestions? thanks:16wtf

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did you check the obvious like coolant in your oil/oil in your coolant? Hook up your temp guage now and stop being lazy it just may save your engine lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
invest in an aftermarket temp gauge. hooking up the stock one in the cluster isnt very accurate. did you properly bleed the air out of your engine after u swapped radiators? maybe u should upgrade your fans for some bigger ones or ones that push more cfm

·
Registered
853 Posts
or you could flush youre radiator. i noticed when i opened the drain for my block there was a lot of gunk trapped inside.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well the cars not doing to bad. but it still gets hot.

last 3 possibilities...

waterpump, head gasket, or warped head.

if it is a warped head what all do i have to do to fix it??

·
Registered
466 Posts
man you really need a gauge. do you know the running temps of your car? the steaming from the radiator could be from over spill, happens to me a lot. you should also trying bleeding the coolant system. i wouldnt jump to the conclusion of a headgasket or head quite yet.... change out the pump and see what she does

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your heater core hoses should not be pluged off. I know a couple of poeple, that this was there problem. You have to have the rear heater core hose looped. You Cant plug them.

I doupt its a head gasket. Bleed the air out of the system, and make sure the heater core hoses are not kinked, or blocked off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From what i have read(no first hand here)....bleed it,there can be hot spots in the head,jack up the front a little while bleeding I have read to help get the air out of the head........run 2 bottles of water wetter with straight distilled water works wonders I have found in the past with my DSM's.

If all else fails www.ohiodrifters.com likes to run a shroud with the stock clutch fan and the KA radiator and they swear by it.

Also if you search under "radiator breather" in the RB section on nico there is a big thread about that too to help get rid of 100% of the trapped bubbles but it seems to be kinda a pain in the ass to figure out how to install it.

Good luck and hope ya get your overheating issue fixed,cant wait until my RB20 is installed in my s14 here in florida to see what happens.

Oh and get a temperature gauge bro.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts