Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a disgusting color on my 240, which came from the previous owner.
i want to spray bomb this car until i can get a real paint job.
what problems will i have when prepping the car for a real paint job?
i just want to rattlecan over the existing paint. i dont care for looks right now,
i just need a new color.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
^Agreed. You'll be better off just waiting to get a good paint job done.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Post up some pics of your car. What's so bad about the color?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pardon me if i come off as a dick with the following,
but i didnt come here to ask anyones opinion on anything.

my main question was:
TH05MS said:
what problems will i have when prepping the car for a real paint job?
and unfortunately, i will not be posting pics of the car in its current state.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Sorry if I offended (sp) you. We were just trying to help out. And to answer your question, you won't really have any problems. Just as long as you have the rattle can paint stripped off and the paint under that stripped off as well. Basically, strip the entire car and start from scratch. As long as you do that you won't have any probs at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, no problem.
for some reason i had some idea going that the rattle can paint would somehow seep under the existing paint and f things up... dont know how i came up with that.

wonder if you can wetsand the spray paint to make it look decent. and then clear coat it... haha.

·
Suck My Balls!
3,549 Posts
I don't care if you think you offended us, go "rattle can" your car, you arrogant prick. We were just trying to save you time, money and effort but make your own mistakes.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
cool, no problem.
for some reason i had some idea going that the rattle can paint would somehow seep under the existing paint and f things up... dont know how i came up with that.

wonder if you can wetsand the spray paint to make it look decent. and then clear coat it... haha.
I saw posting not to long ago of people posing up pics of their 240s that have been rattle canned. A few of them looked rather decent. Do a search and see if you can find it. You might be able to get some info from it.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Why not sand and prep the car, tape it off and spray it with cans of single stage automotive paint... It has the clear and paint in one can, looks better than spray paint.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yea rattle can doesnt look too bad if you take yer time with it and prep it extremely well.. i spray bombed my motorcycle fairings and was able to wet sand them to make em look decent.. but then i stepped it up and bought an air compressor, hvlp spray gun, and some paint.. to be honest, if you have access to an air compressor and can spend about 150 on a decent spray gun and paint, you can make that car look way better.. all the cans of spray paint will run you close to 75-100 anyways, right? .. but research all you can before you get yer hands dirty..

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I've seen people do ROLLER paintjobs, That come out better than OEM. It's all in the patience you have;

Sand the car down well with some fine grit sandpaper and get out all the imperfections and all the clear coat off; sticky cloth the whole car to get the dust off and primer; 1-2 coats of primer will do make sure it's even; Sand out all the paint runs; Paint your first layer of paint lightly to get it all even then let it dry; Then repeat till you have about 3-5 coats of paint on it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Scuff the existing paint

Wipe the car down

Shoot the paint

Done

1 - 16 of 16 Posts