Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orginally i had planned doing the s14 sr20det swap but after doing some research I decided to go with the rb25det swap for my s14. I have searched this site and got some pretty good info about the swap but i still have some questions:
1) im interested in using the syko swap kit, but where do i get the r33 gts-t cross member and engine brackets from?? and are they hard to find??

2) will i be able to use rb25det specific aftermarket parts without having any fitment issues (fmic, downpipe, hot pipes, air intake, turbo manifold) or will they have to be custom to put in the s14 chasis

3) is there any thing else that i will have to worry about when doing the rb25 swap??

my overall plan is to have a nice looking clean 350-400hp engine for show but i would like something different rather than the same sr20det you see all the time... others insight on this would be appreciated and i hope to have an aftermarket parts list set-up that i would like to post after some more research.. but i will not be drifting or racing so keep that in mind, my goal is to have a show car with some go as well..

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
1 - If you don't have a half-cut then they might be hard to find. Check out Rawbrokerage.com, ebay, etc. That's why I went with the McKinney mounts.

2 - I did a custom FMIC but some places make kits that work (like McKinney) - You will need to probably adjust the pipe directly off your turbo and your intake to fit with any kit though. The Downpipe will likely need to be custom due to the positioning of the engine and clearance issues on the steering shaft. The Greddy Air Intake is great and there are one or two knock-offs that are decent as well. If you use a bigger intake you'll need an adapter for the throttle body or a bigger throttle body (like Q45), but make sure you factor this into your intake piping from FMIC. Turbo Manifold is pretty standard, but tell whichever place you go with that you have a LHD S14 and they'll make sure it clears everything usually. Don't buy the Ebay Manifolds - they suck.

3 - Too much to consider to list. Read and re-read and plan everything out before you buy. Then post your list here and ask for critique once you think it's completel.

·
Registered
466 Posts
originally i bought a FMIC kit off ebay for a R33. the throttle side fit but i had to get another pipe for the turboside. also had to get my bov flange welded on.

i know rb-performance sells FMIC kits that work for S-chassis. decent prices too. mckinney also offers a fmic kit but its a bit more spendy. i think both companies offer if you have a greddy (style) intake manifold or stock, and even offer same side inlet/outlet.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
What are you looking for? I bought some things (mostly universal except for my clutch) from mvpmotorsports.com - rb specific I usually go with rawbrokerage, and I've bought al ot of smaller stuff off of Ebay (FPR, Fuel Pump, etc.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all you really need to get the engine in and running is :
custom mounts
custom driveshaft
wiring conversion
fmic with custom piping
electric fans

and of course this is just the basics... but i think thats all you really need to just get it running
alot of these custom parts are already made for you to make it easy, check out mckinneymotorsports.com and sykoperformance.com, if you go with syko you need a r33 crossmember which from my experience isnt easy to find unless you buy a r33 clip when u get ur engine

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks..I want to do a rb26dett in the future but I wasn't sure what all I needed. when you say wireing conversion what do you mean?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is for the rb25det, the rb26dett you will need other things, check out some of the faq's for that, and wiring conversion is you need to convert your engine wiring harness to run the rb25, you can find how to do it yourself or u can send out your s14 engine harness and the engine your swapping in harness and they do it for you, i just sent mine to rawbrokerage.com. pretty much it involves taking things from one harness and putting it on the other and changing some things.

·
Registered
992 Posts
harness wiring is easy is that people are to tired or don't care to do it.who does the most harness is carl h.Which also does reflashing I think.and the rpm oen cluster guage mod for rb our 6cylinders.
RB26 is the way to go if you want cheap high hp.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also, one thing you should swap out, while the car is down, is a vsld rear end. My rb's woke up after a vsld swap.

You should change the timming belt, at least, before you install it also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts