Discussion Starter #1
S13 Hatchback Rear 6.5 Speakers

Materials:
¼” MDF Plywood
Dremel Drill
~2 yard of Fabric
Spray Adhesive
Screw Driver / 10mm socket if needed

After cutting my stock speaker location up to pieces trying to fit a decent sized speaker back there I was still unsatisfied with my results. I had two 6x9s zip-tied in the stock mount locations next to the security cover. It sounded pretty good for a zip-tied equation, but I wanted a little more quality rather than bump. 240 kid gave me the idea of mounting the speakers in the rear seat, next to the seat belt contraption. After taking a look at what I was working with I figured out how I was going to do it and would share. It’s just a simple write up, but a great solution for us hatchback owners that want a decent rear speaker.

First off of course we need to take the rear paneling out of the vehicle. Remove the bottom portion of the backseat but pulling the 2 tabs from the underside/bottom. Next the rear carpet and upper back seat need to be unbolted. I just unbolted the actual seat from the hinge and removed the hinges afterwards. After the backseat is completely out the rear paneling can be removed on each side with one or two screws. It’s mostly held in by clips so just pop it off after it’s free.

Notice the wire coming out of the harness grounded into one of my chosen mounting points. First off I relocated the ground to free up the bolt hole. I took the silver bracket off to get to the bolt, but reinstalled it later. The ground wire only needs to be relocated on the driver’s side. As for the passenger side it should be good to go like so:

Now that we have the paneling out its time to cut a speaker mount out of some ¼” MDF plywood. I had some left over from when I did my front speaker mounts so I lucked out. This stuff is only eight dollars for a huge sheet at your local home depot. One 2x4’ sheet should cover your whole car, 2 front mounts and 2 rear mounts. I will attach the template from the mount when I get home tonight, but it looks something of this sort. Keep in mind that every 6.5” speaker isn’t the exact same diameter, but that’s why I listed a dremel. Just shave away at the hole until you have a good fit.

For those who love the bump over quality I test fitted a 6x9 in the rear location and the fit is tight, but it could be pulled up. The MDF wood has to be cut perfectly though due to how rigid the metal is around the hole. It’s hard to keep it on a flat surface.

After we have both speakers in mounts its time to mount the whole unit into its location. Before we do so we need to run a power and ground source to the wires. I chose to use my stock speaker wires because my head unit can barely power 4 speakers and 6 would kill it. I extended my stock speaker wires about 3 ft. on each side and fed it through this hole, behind the metal fender casing, to the speaker. It ended up being nice because you can’t see the speaker wire at all in the back seat.

After the wire is run bolt the speakers and wood into place in their designated spots. It should look something along the lines of this when completed. Now is a good time to test the speakers and make sure everything is up and running before we put the paneling back in.

Now that we know the speakers are working, we can start fabricated the paneling so the sound can escape through it into the cockpit. I decided to drill multiple amounts of small holes in front of the where the speaker location is on the interior paneling. You can really drill as many holes as you feel necessary, but this is where the dremel comes in handy.

After both sides are drilled out to the extent of the owner you can start to cover the panel with fabric. I already have a purple plaid fabric on my front door panels and shift boot so my fabric choice was easy. You could really use any fabric you wanted, but keep in mind we want sound to carry through it so a lighter one would be ideal. It would be cool to see someone try a black fabric that is thin like speaker mesh, but to each his own. As you can see in the pictures I only covered the selected part of the panel that is drilled out. There is another thread about covering interior paneling with fabric, but I’ll explain my tactic. First you want to cut yourself two rectangular fabric pieces that overlap the part we are trying to cover. Next you can to spray the part you are covering down with the adhesive. Make sure to get very close to the edges so it would fray up later. I used a piece of paper to block overspray onto the rest of the panel. Be cautious on how much you used because it gets very messy and wet if you use too much. I ended up doing the panel in two steps. I sprayed the top half and laid the fabric, then went back and sprayed the bottom half and laid the rest. You can use a credit card to smooth the fabric out, but like I mentioned earlier make sure you don’t spray too much. If there is too much adhesive you want to let it dry a little before you lay the fabric down otherwise the fabric will just soak it up, not stick. After the fabric is stuck you can take a razor blade and go along the outer crevasse to cut away the extra fabric. You should be left with something like this.

After it is dry go back and trim it up a little before you put it back in the car. Just go around and cut any hanging strands or spots that are starting to fray. After you are satisfied with the new rear panel go ahead and re-install it into the car. You can’t even see the holes that were drilled out for speaker, but yet it still sounds great. Go ahead and put the rear seat in and you are golden. Now you have the option of 6.5” speakers all the way around in your hatchback. And your interior matches like a frat boy tennis game.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Where is said thread about covering the panels in fabric? I'm getting ready to start doing all the interior in my project and am looking for any hints/tips on here.

·
GnarKiller
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I might try and recover one side when I get them time, but after it drys you can't really see the wet marks.

·
GnarKiller
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Negative, the auto seat belt motor goes where I replaced the new manual seat belt. That hole was open with a piece of plastic covering it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts