Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I will be pulling my KA from the car this weekend to prep it for the stupid big build. I have practically all the parts lined up in which I plan to use for this build.

My question is what head gasket you would recommend to use? I have been told that Cometic is the way to go. But I have also been told that stock is okay because if I were to blow a HG, the stock is designed to blow out of the side?

I have heard pros and cons to many HG's. What would be the best one for me to use? I will be pushing about 20 to 25 PSI or so when all said and done. I will be sitting at about 450 RWHP if all goes well.

Any suggestions, questions or comments welcome, But NO complaints. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Felpro.

Or if you keep screwing shit up and want to re-use the head gasket because you keep taking the head off. Cometic.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never even heard of Felpro....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I like the cometic copper head gaskets myself.Nearly indestructible. Cometics is like 70 dollars if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Yeah, double the cost of the gasket you get at advance... So once you've taken the head off twice, you pretty much pay for the metal head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
General census says to use a FelPro if you're shooting for 400-500whp and that's it. Lots of people run them with ARP head studs and have no issues at 20-25psi.
But as said before, the FelPro needs to be replaced when/if you need to take the head off for any reason.

I personally used a Cometic. It's a little more tricky to get to seal if you don't have the right tolerances on your block and head. Must be flat, and very smooth.
But, you can re-use it if the head has to come off for any reason.

Take it for what you will. Use your best judgment.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not new to cars. Just new to fully built Ka's lol. I just never heard of felpro HG

·
Premium Member
47,146 Posts
Fel-Pro for Stock 89mm Bores and upto 400whp
SCE for Stock Bore and because it's a Multi-Layer Copper Gasket I'm gonna say upwards of 500+whp
Cometic for anything bigger then Stock Bore.

My personal Choices.
SCE's also come in various thicknesses which can also help you dial-in your Compression.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I will be bored .020 over so I would think even stock bore would work but may not be as efficient. At least thats what I was told being that the .5 mm won't make a difference.

But anywho, I'll be at 89.5mm. I like the idea of a cometic. My buddy says just run stock. It is designed to blow out of the side and if I do blow a gasket it wont mess me up?

I've never heard that before so I wouldn't know.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
A blown head gasket is still a blown head gasket. Gonna be a big deal no matter what. Get the metal, much less chance of blowing out, and reusable.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I had always thought. I just hear so many people say so many different things. Thats why I ask questions. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
472 Posts
In case anyone ever searches this here some FYI for you.
This is confirmed in my KA24DE Head Build video as well.

240sx KA24DE Fel-Pro Head Gaskets - Cylinder Holes measure just over 90mm
So if you have a .020 bored block you will be fine using these possably even .040 bored blocks (90mm)- if you go to .040 bored you "might" have a slight over hang of the gasket onto the cylinder walls - I know no facts nor have I ever heard/seen any facts that you will have issues with this though so....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts