Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for a GL-4 gear oil for my 240 and from what I have heard these are the top brands. I almost bought the royal purple gear oil but I have heard bad things about it in our S13's. So whats is everyones opinion AMSoil or Redline... Right now im leaning towards AMSoil.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've always had success with Redline MT90 GL4, and I can get it somewhat locally which helps.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I can not get anything locally that i have found which is pretty bad, amsoil i might be able to im not sure though

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea AMS dealers are helpful so far there trying to save me money, one offered to open an account and pay for the account for me

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have no first hand experience with either, buthave heard good things about AMSoils. Also I have heard VERY BAD things about Royal Purple in any cars (metal shavings after <100 miles) and if you read the gear oil bottle i think it says for auto trans. so yeah, i would stay far away from that.

·
240-kid
47,143 Posts
I use both Tranny and Engine, personally dont like them in either, switching out when I get home to my baby...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like the engine oil. I have it in my frontier and i got way getter mileage and cooler temps that with dino oil, but i haven't tried any other synthetics to compare. I am thinking about trying ams though.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
i always heard great things about ams oil. Hell I heard from one guy at a shop that he had a prelude come in saying he had a leak. That guy would only use ams oil, so lucky enough that the shope sold it there. they ended up adding 4qts, to get it to the full mark. now I don't know about you all, but I have never heard of a car run even a mile with only half a quart of oil in it.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
My trans was great until I put RP in it, now its permanently fucked. As far as Redline or AMSoil, either are great. I'm going to start running AMSoil myself after I get a different/rebuilt trans.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts