Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m considering buying an s14A, the owner of the car has installed a bigger fuel pump, bigger exhaust and a different intercooler. He has also switched to s15 turbo bearings. I was just Wondering if bigger airflow and bigger fuel pump could damage the car if it hasn’t been tuned to recieve more air and fuel? He states that the car has around 270 hp on this setup

probably the dumbest question ever, but i’m not the best in english and has no knowledge of this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To my knowledge and based on what tuner’s have told me, anytime you mess with air and fuel, you should be tune for it. Not sure if the affects on the motor but I’d assume the car isn’t running right or to it’s potential

·
Registered
7 Posts
Generally, simple things like an improved air filter or exhaust won't hurt the car without a tune. However, without a tune the car won't make the additional power that the easier air flow will allow and may even make less.

A bigger fuel pump won't damage anything. What can damage the engine is if the car is run hard when low on fuel and gravity forces from acceleration or cornering push the fuel away from the pickup and cause a lean condition under boost.

Also, if he played with the fuel and timing maps trying to get more power, it's possible to damage things. I knew a guy who broke several engines trying to run as lean a tune as possible for maximum power on the dyno.

Dyno numbers are somewhat meaningless unless you're comparing the power output of different cars tested on the same dyno or parts upgrades before and after on the same dyno. EVERY dyno will read different based on the type of dyno and what settings the operator specifies.

You mentioned the car has a turbo engine but didn't mention a swap or which engine. So, I'm assuming you're talking about a right hand drive vehicle with its normal SR20 engine?

The car is 25 years old. The engine is turbo charged. The owner has made modifications. You'd be a fool to think the car doesn't have any problems. Even if it doesn't have any problems right now, 240s, Silvias, will sit in the parking lot, driveway, or garage and think of ways to break.

Anyways, if the parts on the car are just bolt ons and it's the original engine, then the real danger is how it was driven and why it had a bigger fuel pump.

Speaking of tuning, fuel pumps, etc. If he put in the pump because he turned up the boost after changing the bearings, what kind of tune did he do? How did he regulate boost and fuel? Is there an aftermarket ECM, engine computer?

You'll be getting some kind of headache with the car. Really, with a car this old and rare, it's not a matter of finding one without any issues, but rather being prepared that there will be issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts