Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've got a pretty frustrating problem that i've tolerated up til now. As with all RB swaps, my tach is way off, I believe it's about 50% over what it really should be( ie: 1000 reads as 1500 and 6000 is pegged against the hour/minute knob.) To completely avoid ripping out the cluster and sending it out to Carl H or using an r33 speedo/tach assembly, I bought an HKS turbo timer type 1. It can display speed or rpms along with its other basic functions. I find the ECU pinout, i wire all successfully and to my dismay the tach signal reads exactly what the dash tach does. The only two options I have from here are to look more into the 5v/12v digital/analog discrepancy(which hks has an adaptor or something for) or to find somewhere else to wire the rpm signal wire to. Any suggestions?

I've also heard of someone using a resistor? I can't find any other info on this either.

I've searched a ton I promise! So be nice.. D:

Btw, Its a DOHC cluster, 93 hatch. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Autometer makes a tach adapter for distributor less motors that I believe would work. What I did however was the resistor trick. Not sure if its exact or not though. Basically what I did was get a 12 V source and add I believe it was a 10k ohm resistor (i can't remember if it was 1k or 10k but they're cheap and just try it first if you can't find the info). And run the 12 V to the tach signal wire. If you need me to clarify i can try to draw a pic of it.

That was my solution if i remember correctly but if anyone wants to point out an error please do so...its been a while since i wired it up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/diagrams/rb25det-pinout.pdf

this is the ecu pinout diagram i used. i still have my tach on the dash installed, i'm not sure if that affects anything or not. I used pin #7. checked and double checked. I'd rather just get the turbo timer to be accurate and i'd be happy. D:

I looked into that tach signal adapter, there seems to be a delay with that setup. I'm really unsure about using resistors and all that jazz but i will do it if I cant resolve this soon.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yea that's the right wire...the only things i've heard of working are the resistor or the adapter. Try to make sure the timer is set for 6 cyl though. Worth a shot. Carl H might have a better idea too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i know you said you dont want to rip out ur cluster but u might want to think about getting a j30 tach. its almost a perfect fit in the s13 cluster and has pretty much the same redline as rb25. i picked up a full j30 cluster from ebay for $20 shipped (to alaska) and only used the tach and threw the rest away.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I had a resistor setup on my RB20DET and the tach was somewhat accurate. I now have an AEM EMS on a S1 RB25DET and it does the work for me. The funny thing is that my AEM EMS reports a very accurate tach reading, the HKS is off by about 400rpm, and the tach is off on the low end by about 200rpm. So, I don't know what the HKS has such a weird reading...

·
Registered
466 Posts
i saw somone recently who also swapped over the j30 speedo, in case anyone wanted a quck easy/clean fix for the speedo and tach

1 - 7 of 7 Posts