Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Lookin good. One question though, why the felt between the layers of fiberglass? JW cuz I'm gettin ready to do some work on the dash in my project.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason behind using felt is this, one it won't make you itch like crazy when you start to shape your dash. The fiberglass hairs make you go nuts...
How ever the main reason for using felt rather then fiberglass sheets are because the felt is much thicker then the fiberglass sheets. & Its much easier to use a can of 3M spray and spray your dash to put the felt down.

Its just a little trick that I found out along the way of doing fiberglass.

I also forgot to add that I have a set of 180sx tail lights that I bought from enjuku. & I have a romtune for the z32 maf and t28 with stock injectors for 15 psi.. I'll get it remapped for 20psi after I break the turbo in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car left today, I took out some bondo & hit some areas that needed it since I knew it'd be a low spot. I'm going to start using 80grit tonight working my way to 120, 150; I hope to have the dash done by Tuesday.

I wrapped one of the doors today in some pink felt, ha!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've sanded the 3 coats of fiberglass today, they're were a lot of uneven ripples. I've just put the last coat of fiberglass I'm going to sand that tomorrow & then mix up some bondo & try to use that to fill the uneven spots & I'll spray the dash with some sandable primer & sand the dash down with 320 grit.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
good to see you know your shit.

A trick for those uneven spots, im sure you know, is that you can spray that sandable primer on top of your bondo right after you apply it. then when you let it dry the paint lets you see your high and low spots when your sanding. then you know where to add some glaze and/or sand more

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
looks like a bitch to do it all by hand. i HATE sanding by hand if i have a da, and it also has a tendency to make your sanding more "even" i guess you could say, since it vibrates instead of going side to side, it makes it alot easier to bring down flatspots and shit without messing out things on the side. a da will sand if you hold it in one spot, your hands cant do that

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well today was a good day, I finished the top of the dash & I cleaned the garage today LOL. My motor has a thick coat of dust.

I'll be busy tommorw prepping the sides and the AC vents. I've decided that I'm going to cover the dash with swade---I really want to use gator skin or snake skin. How ever I cant figure out where to buy either snake or gator...

Also what should I do my doors? I've got one door fiberglassed already should I fiberglass the doors and have the doors with the 3stage paint / black or just do the doors swade or will that be to much swade?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm ordering someFaux Leather Crocodile tmrw to wrap the dash with. The Gator costs 63.99 a yard, much more then what Swede could have costed. Faux Leather Crocodile

1 - 20 of 26 Posts