Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one do you guys think is better? Why? What are advantages and disadvantages of both? Can a moderator made this into a poll?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I JUST posted in a thread about this the other day. I will find it and edit my post.

*edit*
The s14 would be a nicer daily, BUT the s14 also has a better suspension design and handles better than the s13 will, especially s13 hatches, as the hatch has the lowest chassis rigidity of all of them. Trust me, I hate how mine feels like a wet noodle when cornering.
I'll just post what I said in that thread, as it wasn't a thread about that, but what I posted is still relevant.

S13
Pros:

Cheaper base cost
More than one body style option (coupe, hatch, vert)
Better KA motor (in my opinion. I like the fact that it's got the 240/248 cams stock)
Lighter than S14's
Easier to work on (i.e. 5 speed swap, etc. the S13 has generally less complicated wiring)
Some parts are cheaper for the S13
Cons:
Older
Generally higher mileage
Suspension isn't as good as the S14's (again, that's entirely subjective)
Body/Chassis rigidity isn't as high as the S14, even in the S13 coupes, which are consequently stiffer than hatches and verts
Generally in rougher/worse shape than their S14 counterparts
Worse wheel fitment options than the S14

S14
Pros:
Better chassis to begin with
Kouki conversion that doesn't look like ass
Actual Koukis
No pop-ups (as much as I LOVE pop-ups, they're a pain. I want HID's, but it's either eBay housings or too much work)
Has better wheel fitment options
Cons:
Generally higher price
Spare parts are harder to find (subjective again. if you live in an area with a high concentration of 240's in junkyards, then this won't be a problem)
More complicated wiring over the S13 (OBD-I S14's get around some of this, but not all)
Heavier than S13's

·
Registered
276 Posts
s13 or "get e-smacked".

You can't just ask that question. What is the car for, just driving? If that's the cae it's all about which one you prefer. it's a car.... It's a bunch of metal and stuff. Anything can be done to it. I like older box-er shaped cars. I dont however like never rounded cars... so i HATE s14's and love s13's. neither one is "better".... It's a vehicle.....

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
s13 or "get e-smacked".

You can't just ask that question. What is the car for, just driving? If that's the cae it's all about which one you prefer. it's a car.... It's a bunch of metal and stuff. Anything can be done to it. I like older box-er shaped cars. I dont however like never rounded cars... so i HATE s14's and love s13's. neither one is "better".... It's a vehicle.....
Entirely subjective, really. It does really depend on what you're going to be doing with it. I really prefer S13's, but I'm pretty partial to mine, and cannot offer an unbiased opinion, as I've never owned or even driven an S14.

I'd never trade my S13 for an S14, but I certainly wouldn't mind augmenting my current fleet with a clean S14 for a daily driver. I think the S14 would be better for a DD, but that the S13 would be better for a track car, since it would be cheaper, and you would cage it anyways, making pretty much anything the S14 is better at a moot point.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
S13
Pros:

Better KA motor (in my opinion. I like the fact that it's got the 240/248 cams stock)

However.. the S13 has the SVC's in the intake manifold, which restrict airflow at wide open throttle...

I have a '95 KA 9with the stock 232/232 cams) in my '91 S13..

no difference in performance

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
However.. the S13 has the SVC's in the intake manifold, which restrict airflow at wide open throttle...

I have a '95 KA 9with the stock 232/232 cams) in my '91 S13..

no difference in performance
Not necessarily WOT, but high rpm. :dancingco

Yeah, I agree with you on a stock-to-stock comparison, but most 240's aren't stock, and I know my intake mani doesn't have the butterfly in it still. I guess I'm saying that there's more "room to grow" with the s13 cams, and there is a slight performance benefit to S14 guys who use the 240/248 cams in any combination.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am partial to S13's. I've ahd two pignose hatches and they are the shit IMO. Granted I'm saving up for an S14 for a DD... I say S13 for beating on and an S14 for DD or when you take your girl on a date. The S13 is showing its age but is still oine of the greatest cars of all time. The S13 is a perfectly sized car with a great power to weight ratio (for the price range) and they are very easy to make blisteringly fast when compared to many other cars in a similar price range.

That said, I will from this day forth ALWAYS have a pignose S13 ion my driveway.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
got to agree with ya all. The s13 is a better choice for a track car, and s14 for a dd. Although i have to admit I would rather have a bit more economical car then a 240 for a dd.

lol side note, I bought my 89 s13 with the original window sticker 20mpg city - 26mpg highway.
hell my 03 v6 accord gets 27 city.

·
Registered
65 Posts
s14ftmfw!

i used to love s13 hatches and i was such a fan so i was like, im gonna look for one of those, with no luck in my price range i would a s14 for 700 and it didnt run, i took out a shitty alarm system and repaired the ignition and it started right up, i used to be such a nut swinger to s13's but sence i bought a s14 i love them, just looks more sleek and aggressive IMO allthough parts are really hard to find in upstate NY as i have only seen 3 S14's in all of the 5 years i have lives here, and one was a rotted out one that a old man was driving so he doesnt count i had to drive to NJ to get my car, and parts are so hard to find i have been looking every day for like 2 months for the right transmission harness for my 5sp swap and i cant find it anywhere

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
S13 Piggy hatch FTMFW!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I check the mpg on my 96 S14 se and I get 29 mpg combined city and highway so I think they are very economical. It also cost alot less and an 03 accord.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
dumb question... and this isnt a thread jack... but what is a s13 vert? i know the other 2 are obvious... and im a s14 guy (zenki ftw) but i like the s13 coupes... To me, its just the style i like...

·
GnarKiller
5,116 Posts
A convertible coupe basically.

Anyways, I personally like the fastback look over any of the other models. I mean it would be sweet to have a kouki, but replacement parts would kill me. Its completely up to preference and wallet size, unless you are going strictly by the facts in the book.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts