Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really REALLY hurtin for money right now, I can't pay bills for shit, and I work only 2 days a week. I have applied everywhere but it's so damn hard to get a job right now.. My credit is getting fucked hard, I got late fees piling up on credit accounts, and I cant even afford to fix my car now. I need a way to find a job, and i'd rather not goto a temp service.. The worst part is, is that child support (back pay), is paying for insurance and car payment right now, and that will be ending soon. Theres another 350$ a month added on to my troubles.

Anybody ever been in this position and got ideas? Please don't post if you're going to say shit like "sell your body" or anything like that..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Collect recycles. Don't go for glass because they aren't worth anything by the pound. Don't do small batches of recycles, recycle them in large batches so they weigh it by the pound. Recycle the plastic bottles and aluminum cans.. Those were the ones that had the most value the last time I did it and got around 200 for them. Granted it was a lot of bottles collected over a couple months. I brought 300lbs of glass and got 30 dollars.. F that. If you're really desperate, hit the garbage like bums or the colleges. Tons of free money layin around.

·
Registered
88 Posts
not sure how unemployment works..but before i got laid-off some people that weren't working 40 hours or more where i was working got partial unemployment which would be a little bit of help for you.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
You can collect partial unenployment if you're not working 40 hours a week. I know this 'cause my dad had to research it. It's been dead at his work and he gets paid by the job so he wasn't making shit.

As for recycling, unfortunately the asian market taking a shit has made our copper pretty much worthless. If not I'd recommend that.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
No matter what you end up doing, don't stop applying for jobs. Random stuff happens in life, you never know who might hire you. I hope stuff works out man, just remember, things can only get better man.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
To the OP, PM me if you wanna talk. Maybe I can help you, no promises, but I'll try.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
you could possibly try for a consolidation loan to help out on the hard end...

as far as only working 2 days a week, you could try to get a job working construction? or road crew? they always looking for more ditch diggers.

there is nothing wrong in taking unemployement if you actually need it, which it sounds like you do.

also, cut out ANY bill / money sucker that is expendable. IE - cable, internet, etc.

also, you may want to consider moving into a cheaper cost of living residence?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recycling could be very easy because my buddy has a party like every other day and literally goes through like 8 cases a night.. I could ask him to give me all the cans I'll see what he says. And as for partial unemployment i've never heard of that, i'll have to check into it.. And yea I guess I'll keep applying, thats the only thing I can do at this point.

Also Car Crazy, check inbox.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you could possibly try for a consolidation loan to help out on the hard end...

as far as only working 2 days a week, you could try to get a job working construction? or road crew? they always looking for more ditch diggers.

there is nothing wrong in taking unemployement if you actually need it, which it sounds like you do.

also, cut out ANY bill / money sucker that is expendable. IE - cable, internet, etc.

also, you may want to consider moving into a cheaper cost of living residence?

All expendables are gone, and I live with parents but I have to pay them 200$ a month cause they're not in a much better situation.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
better than the 750 plus utilities im forking over per month.

its good, although night ideal, that your back living with your parents. i know that i would go apeshit living with my parents, but also know that it is something i would have to deal with for awhile until i got back on my feet.

how much are you looking to make? if you could pick a salary...a realistic one based on your talents...what are you looking for? hell...even per hour? the more we know, the more we can help.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I'm a certified auto tech, but the auto industry is so fucked right now that was a waste of money. Id basically need to make minimum 12$ an hour full time to be able to get by without struggling, but if I could make higher that'd be better.

Anything is better than the 150-200$ a week I make right now working 2 days a week.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Honestly, $12 an hour isn't too horribly hard to reach, at least if there are open positions where you live. I know my buddies are waiters over the summer breaks and they make insane amounts of cash, usually just over weekends (I think they calculated it out to be around $25 an hour, although Williamson county where I live is one of the richest in the nation, so there are a lot of rich people that tip big.) I always apply at every restaurant I can. Try finding some place that needs a host and then you can shortly move up to being a waiter and get the huge tips that come with the job.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went out driving around for 2 hours and man.. there is like NOTHING hiring! I applied at 2 places... pep boys and some restaurant/bar thats opening.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
New openings are awesome, that's where I got my last summer job. Borders or any other book store is amazing, they pay decent (decent for me at least, about 8 or 9 usually) and it's really relaxing. Cafe's are fun, they pay about the same but if you are at a good place you will get some serious tips. Neither will get your $12 an hour, but I'm sure it will help.

When you are driving around are you going in and asking everyone? If you just don't see a Now Hiring sign doesn't mean they aren't hiring. I usually end up just asking everywhere I can when I'm looking for something.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
These are the moments I wish I had a super well paying career and some extra money, I love helping people out, especially people who REALLY need it. Sorry I can't throw any money your way, college is wasting me away.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's all good man I really appreciate that. I stopped in everywhere I thought would be a good place for me to work, most places were "eh not right now" or "No were on a hiring freeze". I have a really good website idea that could make me some money but I dont have any money to get it started, or even know how to go about it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
200$ a month rent to parents
35$ a month to best buy
35$ a month to american eagle
50$ a month to capital one
Figure about 40$ a month for gas (thats not driving much at all)
160$ a month for cigarettes - I'm quitting that, or atleast cutting down ALOT
20$ gym pass a month - just cancelled that
8$ a month xbox live - cancelled that

And then theres money when I go out to eat with friends or whatever.. (rarely), or w/e other random expenses

Theres actually a budgeting program on my phone thats linked to my checking account that helps out alot. But thats for people with money.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
just keep pluggin for work man, get on every source you got available.

Craigslist, Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, newspapers. look up temp agencies in the area and go over to them in person and ask if they got leads. Get as many people on your side as possible.

It took me 6 months of looking to find the job I just got, and yeah, my credit is fucked too. I checked out how long it would take me to pay off my debts at my new income, and it'll take the entire rest of the year. Work everyone you know, sometimes word of mouth is the best stuff.

If you're a auto tech, do you have your ASE certs? If you do, I know at least in Cali there's a shortage of techs so keep lookin at every independent auto shop or dealership you see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts