Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so im thinking of buying an S14 240sx SE, 1996 to be exact. Alright so the owner wants $2500CAN for it (originally wanted $3500CAN). The thing is this car has 189,000miles, so I thought Id ask about some opinions.

Keep in mind this is going to be my first car so money IS an issue.

The engine is original, no upgrades other than an exhaust, performance plugs + cables and intake, all others are cosmetic upgrades. New brakes, water pump, radiator...needs a new passenger window motor, has a Nismo steering wheel(no airbags..), apparently well maintained.

Paint was done 2yrs ago, new(er) rims and tires, extra set of winter tires, skirt kit, aftermarket sony deck and aftermarket alarm system.

HOWEVER, the owner drove the car and said it was riding rough...he thinks it may be the tranny. The issue is that he lives 4hrs away from me, and when I asked if Id be able to drive the car back, he said it probably wouldnt be the best idea, in case it was the head gasket.

As of now he is investigating the cause of the car riding rough, so now from you guys I need some opinions about what I should do, if I should buy it , yes no...anything.

Ps: you think I could go even lower than 2500..

heres a pic of the car:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
it looks nice. but that could be the ploy. When S-10s were real popular around here my friend and I would go to junk yards and get euro lights and cheap wheels for them and then put cold air intake, exhaust, a system and euro lights...a couple he chopped the springs on...and sell them for like $2k more than he paid after everything....If it is your first car...probably not a good idea to buy a car with problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fair enough. He stated that its been sitting for a while, hence why he took it out for a test drive, but hopefully if he finds out the problem, either he`ll get it fixed or he`ll lower the price.

PS in the first pic, does the background look like a track to anyone else.. haha

·
Registered
142 Posts
IMO, its not fun if you buy a car thats already done up. Buy a stock s14 or w/e, one thats just.. old.. you're first cars going to be the one that you fall in love with : P so get one that you can clean up and look pretty and be able to say "Yeah, i did it".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see where youre coming from..you guys may think im just compensating for this vehicle, but its exactly what Id like my 240sx to look like...just the rims I would have preferred Black with a chrome lip, other than that its pretty much perfect... Im just not too knowledgeable about 240sx and how long they usually last, hence why im asking questions first :)

PS I was looking at Z32 300zx's, but those I have come to realize are far out of my price range...esp if I want a LHD TT :p

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
given that it has so many miles, and problems, I would say 1800. the car does look clean as hell, yet no were near worth 3k. s14s aren't that rear, so look around. Also being your first car, I would sugest to get something that runs great. It should have lower miles. If you make any compromise, make it in the look. Don't worry if it is a little dinged scratched or faded. I mean who cares if the car looks sweet if you can't drive it.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
At 189,000 miles, depending on how the motor has been ran, you'll prolly have to do some engine work or a motor swap all together. Which would be the perfect excuse to do a SR swap. If you're good on cash to do what's needed to fix the car if any problems arise then I'd say go for it. The car looks really good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would tend to agree with most other people. If this is your first car then you want something that's going to be reliable. You don't want to throw most of your money out on something that you will have to shove more money into right off the bat. Remember patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh no doubt, thats why Ive been interested in this 240sx.. I plan on doing a swap for sure! Just hoping that this engine will last me until I get enough cash for take 6-8months.

In the first couple e-mails the dude claims he wont go lower than $2500 as its worth more than that.. but now that he has discovered this problem of riding *rough* he hasnt given me another quote. How much do you actually think is reasonable for him to accept? $1800 would be awesome, but I doubt he'd drop it that much ( since it was orig $3500)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Recent Pic:

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but hes throwing in a remote starter/alarm system (needs to be installed), along with extra oem mirrors, 4x oem rims+winter tires.

However Ill need to get the car safety-ed and emission tested ontop of fixing the passanger side window motor and whatever the hell is causing the car to ride rough...still think i can get it for under $2500?
Will the car having no airbags prevent me from passing the safety test? I live in Ontario..

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
not sure about the safety issue, but I would think so, since the car was original equipment. well you could try 2k because of the extra problems, yet the kbb value for fair is 3,175 so even at 2500 you would be getting a good deal. If it is the head gasket or something like that, now looking at its value 2500 is about right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
well if hes throwing in snow tires rims, remote starter.. i think its worth it to buy, just MAKE SURE!!! that you hide the car for the first month that you have it.. people sell a car that could get 4k and the next day the cars stolen from the guy who bought it. people love to scam ><

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it appears the headgasket is going to need to be replaced.

How much am I looking at to get it replaced and also how much do you think I should ask the price to be brought down..

P.s - I live 4hrs(highway) away, would I be able to drive the car here or do i NEED to get it fixed first

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
if you need to get a shop to do it then you are looking at a grand plus. you might be able to get it home, yet will risk more damage, like warping the head. that is if it is not already warped. you could ask the guy what he will sell you the car for given the condition, or if he fixes it if he will stick to 3g.

·
Registered
276 Posts
if you need to get a shop to do it then you are looking at a grand plus. you might be able to get it home, yet will risk more damage, like warping the head. that is if it is not already warped. you could ask the guy what he will sell you the car for given the condition, or if he fixes it if he will stick to 3g.
Im going to agree. $2,500 is really high to pay for a car that won't run in a month. Not bad to most of us on here, but if this is your first car... Bad idea. $3K is a good price for the car... Fixed by him. Just depends on how cool the guy is. If he is shady, i would vere away from the car. If he's cool, go for it. Try and work with the guy, go and visit the car and lend a helping hand if he is willing to fix it for you. See if he will let you pull the oil pan and check the rod and main bearings. See if you can sneak a peak at the timing while your at it too... and after the head gasket is replaced make sure to check the compression. I mean, might as well while the motor is pulled apart.

Do you have any mechanical experiance?

And am i just crazy or does the rear spoiler look diffrent between the first two pictures? I dont remember the stock s14 hat lid having that much angle in the first picture. Second picture looks more like it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a little mechanical experience, but nothing as intense as replacing the headgasket. I believe id be able to do most of it, just have no idea about the timing and such

·
Registered
235 Posts
wait 2300 canadian "dollars" idk? but isn't there a difference. Ive just seen that on the back of books and stuff that in canada they cost more. So really in us money the car is cheaper that 2300 bucks i guess. which seems to be a really good deal.
P.S. Head gaskets easy you can do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts