Nissan 240SX Forums banner

So I went for a quick drive through some twisties. Smoke coming up from behind wheels

650 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  unwed_transient 
#1 ·
So today I fired up the 240 and let her warm up for a bit, then took her out on a local road for some 25/35mph corners. After some heavy braking through these corners for about 5 miles, I slowed down to pull into the local gas station, and noticed the brakes were a little sluggish. After parking, I noticeda very thin smoke coming up from behind my wheels/tires. Went in, got a drink, and came back out and the smoke was gone. (Less than 5 minutes I'd guess) After this, I drove home a quarter mile or so, and the brakes seemed fine.

Should I be worried? I'm guessing the brakes just heated up a bit and didn't function as well.. Also, time for new pads? lol

#3 ·
unwed_transient said:
it's called brake fade. If you experience fade after the duration and speed you were traveling, it's time for new pads and maybe consider slotted or cross-drilled rotors (good pads ought to be enough).
Or maybe even consider a upgrade because stock 240SX brakes suck and fading tends to be a problem with them.

#8 ·
unwed_transient said:
stock 240sx brakes are fine if you're using decent pads. you don't need 4 piston calipers and added unsprung weight to have an effective system. consider quality pads and perhaps some better rotors.
Better advice, however, rotors are not a necessary upgrade. Brembo blanks are the best option.

If you are REALLY interested in improving your braking (most aren't. Most want to "mod" their car and make a reason to.:nono ) here is what you need to do.

Make sure your suspension is in good shape
Get better brake pads
Get better tires.

That's IT!!! Nothing else is needed. All this other BS (300ZX brake upgrade, slotted drilled rotors, etc)...for a street car it is useless. It's what I call rice.

#9 ·
Prelude Guy said:
Better advice, however, rotors are not a necessary upgrade. Brembo blanks are the best option.

If you are REALLY interested in improving your braking (most aren't. Most want to "mod" their car and make a reason to.:nono ) here is what you need to do.

Make sure your suspension is in good shape
Get better brake pads
Get better tires.

That's IT!!! Nothing else is needed. All this other BS (300ZX brake upgrade, slotted drilled rotors, etc)...for a street car it is useless. It's what I call rice.
Making your car stop quicker is rice? And you love your honda?

Ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.