Nissan 240SX Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'92 AG2 RMKS13
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Like I said, I have some NGKs that are on standby to be cleaned. I'll use those until I can get proper replacements. And that screwdriver thing is a neat trick.

·
Registered
'92 AG2 RMKS13
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
2014 Jul 04: Mini update

Performed compression test with the following results:
Cyl. 1.) 175psi
Cyl. 2.) 175psi
Cyl. 3.) 175psi
Cyl. 4.) 165psi

I even noticed that the spark plug from cylinder 1 is looking a lot better. It even sounded like it was running smoother, I was doing this with a battery charger hooked up. So perhaps it was the distributor and the battery possibly having a dead cell (the thing can't seem to hold a charge, gonna try and test that too before I grill some dogs).

Anyway, enjoy your United States Independence Day!

·
240-kid
47,146 Posts
Was that Cold? Hot? Throttle Open? Closed?
Doesn't seem bad at all. I've seen KA's Hot with Throttle Open only crack 150psi.

·
Registered
'92 AG2 RMKS13
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
2014 Jul 06: End of Day update

Goal: Check timing and idle.

Execution: Used Nissan FSM for 1992 240SX on iPad, inductive timing gun, 10mm wrench, 10mm 3/8" drive socket, 2" 3/8" drive extension, and 3/8" drive ratchet.

Result: No changes, timing was at proper setting of 20° BTDC when read. Idle was 700rpm.

Notes: Very happy that I ended up setting the timing purely by ear alone after I had adjusted the distributor.

Addendum:
2014Jul05: Checked injectors as suggested, all had a good rhythm.

·
Registered
'92 AG2 RMKS13
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
2014 Jul 07: End of Day update

On a hunch, I went out to check the idle again.

Brought it up to operating temp, disconnected TPS harness connector, then turned the IACV adjustment anticlockwise. No change in RPM. Turned it clockwise until it would turn no more. No change in RPM. Looked closer and noticed the FICD Solenoid connector broken from the IACV.

So now I'm in the process of taking the IACV out to clean it and find out what can be done about that connector, if anything. My hunch came from the idle dipping to close to 500rpm while performing some tasks in the cabin. Things like working the parking lights and head lights, operating the wipers. Really bogging down the engine. And through all of the things I have done, when racing the engine, the throttle has still been sluggish. I'm thinking that the FICD not operating might be the cause for that.

2014Jul08: Supplemental update

Got the IACV out.

As you can see, the FICD connector is pretty well broken and smashed. I think it occurred when the transmission and engine were being dropped into the car, and the connector was rammed into the firewall.

·
Registered
'92 AG2 RMKS13
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
2014 Jul 21: General Update

Things have slowed down a bit, sorry for the lack of activity. Just been preoccupied with more important things around the house. Cleaned the IACV a bit, might hit it again. Then gotta place it back in and test.

·
Registered
'92 AG2 RMKS13
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
2015 Feb 25

Hello again everyone, it's been…an eventful winter here but thankfully not as cold as last winter. Some minor updates in general:

– My brother has landed a trucking job, which means there will likely be some income to help this project along [although he's thinking about taking it to a Nissan shop to get it worked over].
– I've gotten an iPad Mini which has a camera, which means more pictures for you wonderful people!
– I finally got my script for antidepressants refilled [it was…rocky for a while].

But all in all, things have been fine in the past few months. I had my 28th birthday, I got some nice stuff that I really wanted as gifts for the holidays, family had christmas steak. Now I just need to let the ground thaw a little bit and maybe get cracking on this dragged out restoration, gotten a few people making offers to buy the car which has been annoying to be honest…

ANYWAY! Happy new year everyone. I will do my best to get some updates rolling out.

·
Registered
'92 AG2 RMKS13
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
2021 Jul 16

Six years, six years hiatus and nothing to show for it. All I can say is, life happened. Father passed away in 2016, brother moved out, and I'm now getting disability through the department of Veterans Affairs.

I purchased some HICAS bits and bobs from ebay for an almost literal steal ($75 for practically everything, minus shipping), a 2-ton floor jack, four 3-ton jack stands, and this adorable 10mm ratcheting wrench keychain by HKS-Tone as sold by Concept Z Performance:

The shopping list as of now:
Brakes (rotors, pads, maybe more)
Shock struts
Springs (maybe)
Transmission deluxe rebuild kit (in case I need to rehabilitate the whole thing)
Radiator
Main coolant hoses
Reservoir tank
IACV-FICD solenoid
FICD connector
IACV gasket
Intake gasket
Plenum gasket
Air filter
Oil filter
Fuel filter (might as well, it hasn't been run in over half a decade)
Hatch/Gate/Door(?) (the foam spoiler has done it's job as a rust magnet, Seibon will be the replacement)
Wheels (refurbished OEM)
Tires (likely Kumho)
Catch can(s)
Heat gun (for the junk window tinting)
¼" plywood (for the floor jack and jack stands)

And to touch on the junk window tinting, I have my work cut out for me; most of it fell off the rear window!

It's just a mess to clean up now...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts