Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
47,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yet I have found another good arguable topic :D

What are the pro's and con's of both a Spring + Strut Combo & Coil-Overs

If you have any of these type's of setup, Treat this like a reveiw and tell us what you do and don't like about it :D

BTW IDK if this should go into the Wheel,Tire, Susp. section well let a mod decide :D

ALright here we go so far:

Spring + Strut Combo:
Pro's:
- More Veriaty (sp*)
- Put together your Own kit
- Some manufactures can make better Springs/Struts then the other
- Cost

Con's:
- Some apps lack adj.

Coil-Overs:
Pro's:
- Large Range Of Adj.
- Better Psring Rates
- Better Dampening

Con's:
- Cost
- Sometimes Only Height Adj.
- Ring's Can Lock-up w/ Dirt - etc.

·
Registered
256 Posts
coilovers usually allow alot more adjustablity, and usually offer better spring rates and better dampening than what your basic spring/strut combo offer.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
jt1583 said:
could you not just find springs with those rates and good adjustable shocks?
What if you want a different spring rate later?

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
how many people who own coilovers actually modify them to achieve anything else besides 'dumped' ride height? I bet 95% of them dont even know what a spring rate is.

1. You can put camper plates on standard struts - they are not limited to coilovers.
2. Coilovers are expensive - if they are not expensive then they are crap quality or 2nd hand
3. Damper adjustable struts can sometimes be a better choice than height only adjustable coilovers
4. With coilovers its very easy to stuff the handling of your car. If you choose the right spring/strut combo you dont have to worry about things going wrong with setup
5. You get more 'street cred' with coilovers pffft
6. You always seem to lose the coilover c-spanner anyway or the rings lock up with dirt and you cant be bothered adjusting them any more

·
Registered
696 Posts
costs are the difference, yeah the equitment helps; for the street, theres no need to stiffin the shit out of it. NO NEED. Too many bumps.... im off topic.

springs and struts are pretty good IMHO.

Coilovers can be a head ache with the adjustability thang. But expensive.

Im a cheap ass so i'd say go with spring and struts.

·
Premium Member
47,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for your posts I have updated it

and wuss - don't get mad Cause I have more posts :p lol j/k

G

·
Toshiro said:
what about the RSR race springs and agx shocks?
looks like more money for the same product, except not many people have tried the RSR's.... the Eibach Sportlines are a tried and true spring and cost less...

·
Registered
13 Posts
RSR's are said to have a much higher spring rate than the Eibachs, that's why I chose them! Still haven't installed them yet, as I'm awaiting the funds to purchase AGX's for the combo!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
dude 240 kid youve been making so many of the worst threads in the world.

Joel 180 said:
how many people who own coilovers actually modify them to achieve anything else besides 'dumped' ride height? I bet 95% of them dont even know what a spring rate is.
if anything more people get springs to be "lowerd dood".
if you really beleive in your last statement, maybe you should reconsider life.

[/QUOTE]1. You can put camper plates on standard struts - they are not limited to coilovers.
2. Coilovers are expensive - if they are not expensive then they are crap quality or 2nd hand[/QUOTE]
you can put camber plates on stock shocks. doesnt mean its worth it.
coilovers are expensive, but so are good quality shocks and springs. take a ground control spring and koni yellow shock setup. your lookin around 800$ before camber plates, and then still you can only adjust height/preload in unison.=lame. coilovers offer so much adjustabilty in a number of ways, not just height, and the shock is properly valved to the spring rate, adjustable bottom mount to be able to get full shock stroke at a low height, that in itself would be worth it for me.
[/QUOTE]3. Damper adjustable struts can sometimes be a better choice than height only adjustable coilovers[/QUOTE]
how many height only adjustable coilovers are there? like 2. thats a lame argument. its like "a turtle can be faster then a rabbit with no legs" great one!
[/QUOTE]4. With coilovers its very easy to stuff the handling of your car. If you choose the right spring/strut combo you dont have to worry about things going wrong with setup[/QUOTE]
if you pick the right spring combo/strut combo you cant mess it up becuase theree is so little if ANY to adjust. i dont see how you can "stuff" the handling of your car unless you preload the springs la femme nikita and ride around on full stiff with crap tires. and if your that dumb, and got coilovers, youd probably just throw them on the car and leave them as is.
[/QUOTE]5. You get more 'street cred' with coilovers pffft
6. You always seem to lose the coilover c-spanner anyway or the rings lock up with dirt and you cant be bothered adjusting them any more[/QUOTE]
hmm, i dont want full adjustability and control over my suspesion incase i lose a wrench!!! oh noes!

anyways, i hate misleading posts like this. some kid comes along, for some reason beleives you, and now wastes 800$ on a "aewsome" shock and spring setup just to realize how much better a good coilover setup is.
anyways these vs. threads suck ass.

·
Premium Member
47,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Worst threads eh?

Then why you bother w/ them :p j/k

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
sdtouge said:
i dont see how you can "stuff" the handling of your car unless you preload the springs la femme nikita and ride around on full stiff with crap tires. and if your that dumb, and got coilovers, youd probably just throw them on the car and leave them as is.
anyways, i hate misleading posts like this. some kid comes along, for some reason beleives you, and now wastes 800$ on a "aewsome" shock and spring setup just to realize how much better a good coilover setup is.
Ok, looking back my points sucked. Ill try harder to get my point across-
Almost every post on these boards answering the "what suspension should i get" question says "just get coilovers". Granted a good coilover setup is awesome but a bad coilover setup is downright dangerous. If you just go into a shop and buy an off the shelf set of springs and struts you will get at least a moderately better ride than factory and because there is nothing to adjust, there is less that can go wrong.
Id hate to think some noob would read a "just get coilovers" post, then hit a tree cos he didnt know what he was doing and wound the dampers on the back all the way in.

I bought a set of stiffer springs with some non adjustable KYB shocks. All the time I get told "but ive got 12 points of damper adjustment and height adjustment so my suspension is better". Thats great - but I didnt need or want full adjustability because I did some research beforehand and found the spring and damper rates I wanted. So with the money I saved I bought strut bars, camber and castor kits and some replacement bushes and got a ride thats pretty nice - personal choice I suppose.

And I was just pointing out that camber plates also fit on struts - wasnt suggesting it should be done - more needless adjustability if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts