Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've searched to no end and cant find a good answer... Hopefully it's something simple. So when my car is cold (hasn't been running), it has a hard time starting. It doesnt matter what the outside temperature is, it was 90 degrees today and I still had this problem. When I finally get it going (after about 3 or 4 failed attempts) I have to give it throttle to about 2k rpm until it warms up to about 175 and then it'll idle fine at about 1k rpm. I've replaced both temp sensors and cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. I've checked all the grounds and even added a few, the MAF is wired per the wiring instructions on Heavy Throttle or whatever that site is.
Does anyone have a reasonable guess on what this could be? Anything to check would be worth the time, I just want my car to start on the first or second try and stay running.
Thanks in advance, Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, I guess I should list the specs... Stock red top, SMIC, Blitz nur spec exhaust, nismo fpr and fr sport gauge (set at 36 psi), stock sr20det maf, pretty much stock everything else too... The car has good oil pressure and vacuum too, it just wants to die before it gets warm for some reason.
I'm sure others have been in this situation, its really irritating
Thanks again, Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
look at your fuel psi it should be 43.5 with no vac at idle
and your timing sounds like its off, you should take a look at that

-Ron
Ron,
I could have sworn I saw 36 psi for the fuel pressure somewhere, but I'll bump it up to 43.5 and see what happens, I'll check the timing too. The best way is the spark plug wire on #1 cylinder right?

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cold start idling!?!?

have you ever figured out what was causing the problem.

I just acquired an s13 with a redtop sr20det swap, stock besides exhaust.

On cold starts it will not idle on its own, until after maybe a minute or two of reving to keep it alive.

Also when revved in neutral it takes "a while" for the rpm's to drop, (longer then normal)
and when they do and the engine regulates itself, it revs high at 2k for a couple seconds before settling back around 1k rpm

If anyone knows of common culprits to cause what I have just described, please, feel free to fill me in here haha.

Thanks! later.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
baha nice new username !

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
I can dig it

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Yeah, you like that. It's a name I've picked up since I've been out there. The Japanese cannot say "L" and my name comes out like that.
Always baffles me considering how skilled mama-san is with a tongue.... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts