Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I have a couple questions to ask, but first I'll give some back story behind my project.

My sr20det swap is about done and i've been looking for a good place to get a tune. I'm really new to the whole ECU thing and am new to working on cars/engine swaps in general.

I called a local place that i've heard of that is supposedly very good. I was told I either need a new ECU or a piggy back for my stock sr20 ecu. My goals aren't to make a race car, but more of a street car/ a toy with some power. My goal at the moment would be about 200-250 rwhp, in that range. I figured I would probably need a tune.

So my first question is: With the only modifications being a z32 maf, 255 lph fuel pump, and tial bov 50mm/front mount intercooler, would I actually need the tune?

Second: If so, what should I be looking at as far as ECU's go if I do need one? Can anyone point me in the right direction to make a stron running daily driven sr20det @ 12psi?

Any feedback is appreciated. I'll keep prowling the forums and other places for info as well.

EDIT: 3rd question: if i used a stock redtop MAF, would I need a tune? I'm thinking that the MAF would most likely be the thing that makes or breaks the need for me to actually go and buy an ECU or piggyback. Would the stock redtop MAF be able to handle 12 psi?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First off, sorry for the double post.

I guess with some research I've decided to go with a JWT ecu, because they are already doing the conversion for my wiring harness. Anyone else have any better ideas? I've already thrown the idea of a SAFC out the window.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
You did good with throwing the idea of throwing the safc ecu out the window. If your upping the maf and the power you might as well get some larger injectors, like in the 440cc range, maybe 550s if you have plans for a little more power down the road. To be honest though, the jwt ecu will work fine your your immediate needs but dont try to push the power with it unless your ready to run race fuel at even lower boost levels than you should have to. I blew my engine on a jwt ecu but I suspect it would have been fine for less power. Looking back at it everything really looked good but the load scale wasnt scaled good enough and it stopped pulling timing after about 13-14psi and I was running 15-18 psi so POP.

An even better solution would be to get your ecu rom tuned. You would have to find someone that can tune it on the dyno for you and understands how to tune the ecu. It will cost you a little more than a jwt ecu but I know someon that ended up making really decent power (320whp) with a very basic setup. It was a mostly stock sr with a z32 maf, I cant remember the injector size, and a s15 turbo. It had a full cat back but a stock cat!!!
A jwt ecu will allow the car to run and will be mapped smarter than the stock ecu for lower power ranges. but a custom tune will ALWAYS be better provided a compitent tuner does the tuning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, thanks. I did fine a place near me that does dyno tuning, but I don't know if i'm ready to drop the money on something like a standalone ecu. They told me they couldn't do anything with the stock ECU there, so I would have to get something.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
No problem.
There is a program that makes programming your ecu like programming a standalone. There are 2 different brands of boards that make it real time tunable as well. Im assuming that since that shop said that they dont have the capability of tuning a ecu they probably cant chip the ecu for you, and they dont have burners and emmulators. We can chip the ecu with a real time tunable board, we carry the software I mentioned too and it will all cost less than a stand alone.

My previous post still stands though if that is all the more power your looking for I think jwt will do fine if you have and adjustible fpr and a wideband to monitor the air fuel ratio. If your looking into more power in the future and dont want to spend money 2x you may look into the possibility of going the other rout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts