Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been trying off and on to set timing on my car... Here's how it usually goes, I try to start it about three or four times when finally it starts, but i have to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it from dying. Once its finally at operating temp. I bust out the timing gun and check timing, its like 40* advanced :12dunno . I've tried pulling the CAS out and re-stabbing, I've checked the little marks on the cam gears and timing chain and couted the links between marks (10 of them).
If i set the motor at TDC, stab the CAS like it says to on the FRSport writeup, and button everything up, it should be relatively close to 15* BTDC correct? Why is mine so way far off?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got done reading the fsm and as far as i know, i've done everything according to the book... any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So nobody has any ideas as to why the timing would be so far advanced? The crank pulley only goes on one way, the cam gears as well... the timing chain is on correctly and the CAS has been removed and reinstalled more than once, could this mean that the CAS has taken a shit? Im really out of ideas, help anyone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
CAS could be gone? What kind of Maf are you running? Can you adjust the idle? Could the ECU be the culprit? Are you getting good compression?

I have no idea. Good luck though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MAF is just the stock sr20det one, i can adjust the idle with the iacv somewhat, i dont think its the ecu, how could i tell? compression is good as far as i know also, how do you know if its the CAS afterall?
thanks for the response
Chris

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sounds like it could be your ECU, wiring harness or you CAS. What ECU are you running. A guy I know had a simular problem and had to get a new wiring harness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running a stock ecu, i believe its a #62? I'll have to check in the morning... The harness is brand new from frsport, and i wired it according to their write-up. How can you tell if the cas is going out? What was your friends problem? How did he diagnose the harness?
thanks, Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem on my ka actually, and it turned out the distributor was a tooth off. Pull the CAS out move it a tooth counter clockwise and see what you get, if that makes it worse do just the opposite ( clockwise)
My ka would only stay idling when I had the key cranked all the way lol. Good reason I made the sr switch.
Either way hope it works out for you

·
Registered
309 Posts
Oh I forgot with the KA you actually have a disturbtor. sorry for the spelling, the pick up in it might be bad. My moms car had the same problem and I changed the whole thing with a new coil, pick up, cap, rotor and all. I brought it from the dealer new so it would not be a problem. Actually I took the car to dealer only for them to diagnois the car and not repair it. when they told me what was wrong I changed it myself. You could try one from a junk yard if you know for certain the car was running properly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When your setting the timing on cas are you setting crank at top dead center too? Just a curious question

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the crank is at TDC, the second mark from the left... the cams are in there correctly also, five teeth from the side of the head to the mark on the intake cam and 20 rollers between the marks on both cams... It still wont start and stay running either, i have to give it throttle till its completely warm to get it to idle at about 1k...
Thanks for the advise though
Chris

·
Registered
194 Posts
When you're putting your CAS in, after it snaps into place, is the dot lined up? The first time i did it, i was one tooth off and it ran like shit. If i remember correctly, you line up the dot farthest to the right while you're putting it in,and when it snaps in, the dot should be in line with the notch on the housing. Make sure it's set to tdc on compression stroke while you're doing this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When the CAS is installed, the dot is lined up the way the fsm says to do it... I've also tried one tooth either way with worse results... The engine is definitely on the correct stroke when i'm installing it, unless somehow the cam gears were put on the cams 180* from where they're supposed to be lol. What would cause an engine to not want to run at the correct timing?

I've also heard that you're supposed to flip the clamp on the timing gun around and see if you get better results.... I didnt :(
Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Chris

Anyone in Austin TX, wanna give me a hand?
Beer and cash reward lol :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts