Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have owned my 1991 240sx hatch for 2 years now and have been driving it for a year...all on stock suspension. The day finally came to buy coilovers though. Originally I really liked the tanabe DDs and Silk Road. Then I changed my mind to the Megans, but only for a short while till I heard about their shitty damping, and then I changed to wanting the D-Drugs. Then David at TF told me about these coilovers he was realeasing. After him explaining all of the features for about 30 min I was sold. Then I talked to Keith (very good midwest drifter) at the last DD and he had nothing but good things to say about them (on the prototypes).

Well I ordered them from TF (8/6 springs w/ an extra set of 9/7) on Wednesday, although David said they probably wouldnt get to him till Friday. He recieved them on Friday and had them shipped out to me on Friday. Monday I come home from class and they are sitting in my room (gotta love roomates). The box was big and HEAVY. David said the megans are like 40 lbs, and these are 70 lbs (still lighter than stock I believe)!!! Shows how beefy these things are.

The packaging job was the best I've ever seen. Every coilover was individually wrapped in a massive amount of bubble wrap, and then put into their own individual boxes, and then put into a bigger box that fit perfectly. They even came well written instructions that went over everything from preparation to damping adjustment! I then proceeded to take them out and drool over the poly lower bushings, one peice pillow ball mounts, anodized (no chipping!) paint, and just the overall high quality peice.

I went over to my friends house later to install. He just got done doing 3 coilover installs in the past week, and has a lot of experience on different types of coilovers. The install went EXTREMELY smooth. I dont think anything I've ever done to a car (including changing my oil) has gone this good. Partly due to my bolts being rather easy, and the coilovers fitting perfectly. I'm used to installing a car part and making some compromise, wether it be a missing bolt, banging something in to make it fit, or something that I wasnt expecting. The coilovers fit perfectly with no problems. Not to mention we had like 5 other 240 guys watching/helping and they oogled them the whole time. I think I got 2 other guys to want these (the other ones had suspension already).

Then we went out for a test drive. WOW. I have experience with HEs on low pro tires, and Megans on tall ass all-seasons, not to mention ride alongs in just about everyone in the midwests car. The damping on these is incredibly controlled. I have the damping set at 6 (theoretically the correct damping with the springs) and the ride is crazy good for 8/6 spring rates. Even with tall all-seasons the ride is less bouncy than HEs with low profiles, and blows away the megans. My friends exact words "these feel really controlled" I then drove home 50 minutes on the expressway and it just absorbed all the bumps no problems. There is no noise either, rock solid, and dead quiet (well the suspension was, the rest of the car was a diff story, haha). And the handling is just incredible. Even with all-seasons I am taking turns with a ton of confidence and I can feel the back end step out just a little bit, just enough to not slide if u dont want to but still not understeer. I'll deffinently need to drive on these more before 100% endorsing them, but so far I have had nothing but smiles on my face!

and now for the pictures (please dont discuss what camera I'm using, I know the pictures are crazy good quality, but lets stick to suspension laugh.gif )

Look pretty

Front camber plates
[iimg]http://www.driftsauce.com/files/DCFC0054.JPG[/img]

I really liked these little caps that go onto the damper adjustment knob, makes adjusting easier.

Their ON!

The only good picture I could get with the AWESOME camera...more to come

The height adjustment is almost infinite too! I didnt take these near as low as they could go. I would think I could get the bumper to touch the ground if I really wanted too. The prototypes adjusted just as low if not lower than Tein HEs, and then they were revised too allow even more! And if you want to off road these could probably be lifted about 2" over stock.

In closing...These are the new must have coilover. And for the price you cant beat them!

Check out www.stancesus.com

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm definitely diggin the color scheme, keep updating this thread, let us know any problems with them, so far I'm interested in giving them a shot. Did you order them straight from the site you posted the link for? How much did you pay?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Are you over in Deer Park NY?
Yeah so how much did you pay for them? can other spring rate be obtained too?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
DspecDJ said:
I'm definitely diggin the color scheme, keep updating this thread, let us know any problems with them, so far I'm interested in giving them a shot. Did you order them straight from the site you posted the link for? How much did you pay?
you better cuz i helped picj out the color :) lol

TougeFactory sells them for 1195.

ill post my review/comparison to silk roads in a few days

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
there's no way 70lbs of coilovers is lighter than stock.
if those weigh 70lbs, they must be all steel.
which is completely dumb.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
They weigh about as much as my Silk Roads, atleast it fealt the same. The coilovers are a lot beefier though, camber plates are thicker, collars and mounts are too, and so is the shock itself.

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
that's cool.
but 70lbs is a waste for just coilovers.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Is there a need for all the added metal?. It dosn't seem like there is enough of a strength problems in coilovers to justify all the extra metal. Why don't one of you weigh them on a bathroom scale one at a time.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
brents240 said:
Is there a need for all the added metal?. It dosn't seem like there is enough of a strength problems in coilovers to justify all the extra metal. Why don't one of you weigh them on a bathroom scale one at a time.
There are quite a few people who have broken thier coilovers from either hitting curbs, or walls, etc.. If you really wanted to know weights you could always ask TF for an exact weight of one.

Ok heres my review

I picked these up from TF, comes in a nice big old box, a lot bigger than my Silk Roads. Open it up and they are all individually rapped in a whole lot of bubble wrap in thier own individual box.

Every set comes with a manual, 2 wrenches, the coilovers obviously, and 5 adjusting knob caps. The caps are actually pretty nice, my Silk Roads just came with rubber caps, these can be tightened on with the allen key so they don't fall off, you can still adjust the coilovers with the caps on them. And for the slow you can read which way to go for soft or hard.

The S-Chasis apps come with 9/7 springs. Front springs are shorter than the rear springs. Rear springs are the same length as Silk Roads (front and rear)

First thing I did was switch out to 9/7 application. You can either take them off from the top or the bottom. I used the bottom because I have no air tools, just undo the bottom brackets and collars swap springs. The springs have no markings on them so pay attention to which you replace.

After switching springs I compared them to my silk roads side by side.

First thing I notice is the beffiness of these. Silk Roads are pretty beefy on their own comparing them to Tein HEs. The camber plates are thicker, the overall body is thicker. The collars on Stance are all amost the same, while on Silk Road the bottom collar for the fronts is wierdly big, the top two collars are a bit beefier too. The overall length of the coilovers are longer also, so if you want sissy height you have more than enough room.

For the rears, same story, everything is beefier. The most noticeable change is the bottom mount/bracket, its almost double the length of the silk road one. The bottom mount will reach a little past the top collar, so having a long mount allows for the coilovers to go lower than the silk roads which will bottom out before the stance, also yet again allows for sissy height to the max...

For both front and rear the piston is a lot bigger than the silk roads, you can tell in the picture of the rears the difference. Also Stance has shorter stroke which can be seen in the picture of the rears. My finger is on the top of the cartridge, the Silk Road sits at about another coil down.

The one thing SR has and Stance doesn't is the camber adjustable bolt. On the SR it has an eccentric bolt on the top bolt for the bottom bracket. It has 4 settings. The stance bolts are offset, they sit at about setting 3 (1 away from the most camber).

Those are the pics of the coilovers on. I set the ride height to a little lower than my Silk Roads.

Considering its really cold (below freezing) it might take some time for these to settle. So I excpect them to a be a tad bit lower. I plan on lowering it a little more in a week or so after driving on them and painting my car.

Specification wise vs. silk roads

• Feature__________||Silk Road_||_Stance
    Inverted Monotube_||____X___||__X___
    F Camber Plates___||____X___||__X___
    F Camber Bolt_____||____X___||______
    Dampening_______||__8-way__||_15-way
    Spring Rates______||__8/7*___||_8/6 & 9/7
    Rear Bushing______||__rubber_||_poly-urethane
Driving Impression:
First impression is that they are really stiff. The first time I drove them I only drove on them for like a couple minutes. They had yet to be broken in. Drove on them the next day for a little longer. They are currently at factory setting of 6 of 15. After warming up a little they fealt similar stiffness wise to my SRs at 7 of 8, just a tad stiffer.

The ride isn't bouncy, but it does have that go-kart type feel to it. But it is more of a direct feel. I haven't had any track experience with them yet, considering its still snowing, but taking simple turns and weaving around in traffic feels very direct. There is not much body roll in these. Overall the valving compared to silk roads they seem to be a bit stiffer.

Once the car has bumpers and lights and I have the car at its set ride height I will take it out for a little street action and mess with the dampening settings.

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
looks good dude.
althought i can't justify more metal.
if you hit a wall or curb hard enough, the coils will break/warp just b/c of force applied.
they still look nice and beefy though.
i just hope they're not really 70lbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
these coil seem pretty good for the price you pay, was wondering where i can get these coilovers from?
is anyone setting a group buy on these.
so far its very interesting.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Anyone have additional reviews or comments to add to the thread? I'm literaly a day or two away from plunkin' my money down on a set of these. I'd love to hear any further good (or bad) experiences from you guys who are running these coils.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts