Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have tested the starter its good. I checked for voltage at the plug that goes to the starter and I have 12 volts, the starter relay clicks but the starter will not turn. The only way I can get it to start is running 12 volts to the starter "on" terminal and turning the ignition and the same time and it will fire right up. The starter will crank if you give it 12 volts but the car wont start unless you have the key turned. Whats going on here?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
it seems the small wire on the starter isnt hooked up right. Thats the wire that turns the starter over when you turn the key.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have removed that wire and put it back on. Still no luck with it. I thought it may have been a bad contact.

This is a simple question I know but I'm kind of lost as to why it wont crank. Also at first I couldnt get the starter to crank at all and then I re did my grounds and then it worked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ladiesman8527 said:
check your wiring/grounds. u probably have already but its always a good start.
i agree. i had the same problem after i relocated my battery. the starter would just click, but wouldn't turn. turns out i just had to find a better battery ground location and it's been cranking fine ever since

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No the starter does not click. I have already went through that problem. The relay clicks and there is voltage at the plug but the starter will not turn. The starter is good though.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
gtp420 said:
If the starter is good then you have a wiring problem. Make sure everything is tight and clean.
Just the way I like em.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked my grounds. They are good to go. There is a starter relay plug (blue?) on the passenger front. I put a wire from the yellow/black? wire I think it is and ran it to the starter and it fired right up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a similar problem a few days ago, turns out that my battery terminals were a bit loose and dirty inside.

gtp420 said:
If the starter is good then you have a wiring problem. Make sure everything is tight and clean.
This fixed my problem. So now, imma go buy me some gold battery terminals and new ground wires soon.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What was your exact problem?

Well It has a new battery and a new ground wire. I redid it when my starter wouldnt work at all.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My terminals weren't fully tightened, and they had a grip of dust and crap on them. Plus I had some cheap $1 red and black terminals.
To fix the problem, I got sandpaper and scrapped away all the crap, and the paint. My + terminals wasn't tight, so I placed a screw in there and tightened it. (yea, its ghetto, but it works).

So to sum. all this up, clean your battery terminals, and make sure they're all firmly placed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
When I got in my car, all of the elect. worked.
The clock was on. lights came on..etc
But when I tried to start the car, all of the power would just die.
I tired jumping the batt. (Didnt work)
So I tested my starter. (Nothing again)
I checked all of my grounds. When I looked at the battery again, I realized that the pos. terminal was loose.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Be careful with battery terminals, if you man handle them too much, they shoot the fuck out spraying battery acid everywhere.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well grounds are good. Battery wires are tight. Also if I run a wire from the Black/White wire from the Blue Starter relay straight to the starter terminal and crank the key it fires right up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts