Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*If you are doing an SR swap, read my story before you do, and if you have questions about how we did certain things, you can PM me.*

Here is the beginning of my tale of horror. What I got:

-'89 240sx with a dead motor/transmission (my fault)
- a front clip from an r32 skyline with an sr20det redtop engine in it, Side mount intercooler, some random piping, and an sr20 ecu
- a wiring harness FROM HELL
- VLSD from canadian 240sx

Day 1: 9:00 am to 10:00 pm
We stripped the front clip of everything, and in the process, we discovered that the front clip chassis is from an r32 skyline, but with an sr20det swap in it (i should have stopped right then and sold everything). We realized the wiring harness has been mostly chopped up, and that half of it is skyline and the other half silvia (we call it the Skylvia), so in other words, we don't know what the hell to do with with it. We pulled the SR out with a forklift (NOT EASY) and began to prep the engine. So far so good. We realize that attached to the engine block is the M24 turbo from the ca18det engine, an RS*R 3" downpipe, the r32 5-speed tranny (this will haunt me forever), purple top 300zx injectors and fuel filter. And ultra custom (but ghetto) boost management system (we're still figuring it out). everything we need is out and tomorrow we pull the KA out of the 240 and hopefully drop in the SR. We suspect this engine is in the 250 hp range... sweet.

I'll post days 2 - 4 later, and then post as I keep working on it. Hopefully done by the end of this week.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright... now my story continues...

Day 2: 9:00 am - midnight

Remove the KA and hopefully drop in the prepped SR. Disassembling the KA is way harder when you don't want to break or bend anything (our previous solution was a 4 foot crowbar and a sawzall). Taking all the stuff apart was such a pain, not to mention SLIMY GOO EVERYWHERE. Removed the A/C system, Power steering system, all the vacuum lines, all the heater hoses, the driveshaft, the fuel system, the automatic tranny electrical crap and so on...

Come midnight, we are just barely to yank the engine, so we wait till next morning to pull it (heavy machinery + beer + no sleep = bad). Meanwhile we prep the SR for installing. Off with the A/C compressor and bracket (like 10 lbs of steel off the engine right there), off with the power steering pump and bracket. Re-arranging the heater hoses in back (what a bitch!), taking off the oil pan, undenting it with a big hammer, and re-gasketing it. Removing the AIV crap (the ecu has been reprogrammed to ignore it) and plugging the hole in the exhaust from that, and cleaning it all with foamy engine brite. Remove the shift lever and downpipe to make it easier to drop into the 240!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 3: 10:00 am to 5:30 am

Today, we pull the KA, clean the engine bay, and drop in the SR. Pulling the KA is straightforward and easy, it comes out just like the SR did. Cleaning the engine bay just involved rolling the car outside, extreme application of foamy engine brite and a hose to wash everything away. Removing the front bumper is ridiculously hard, and should never ever be this way on any other car. There are tons of hidden bolts and to make a long story short, it sucks. Anyways, we're not able to start dropping in the SR until about 7 pm. For some reason, it really hates going into the 240! It finally rests in the car at about 9, and we get it fully bolted in at about 10.

We try to connect the driveshaft, and we realize that the s13 driveshaft spline does not match up to the s14/r32 transmission output. Joy. We ignore it and start on re-assembly. Cutting out the hole for the intercooler SUCKS unless you have a sawzall or a dremel or something to cut metal. Installing the radiator is also pretty lame unless you cut the lower rubber feet in half so that the whole assembly sits lower in the car. We hook up the fuel lines, hook up the radiator system, and thats it. We install the wiring harness, then we realize that none of it is going to work. Half the harness is from the skyline, so we have no idea what to do. My friend works on that and kinda gets it figured out, while I attempt to hook up the power steering lines. No luck, so I ditch the whole system. I then realize that the heater hoses are still in a terrible place, so I spend another hour wrestling them into the right places, and now they're all pinched (screw it, I live in San Diego).

Come 4 am, all we can do is swear at the goddamn hardcore japanese drift dude who completely destroyed the harness to use a really shitty little boost controller and remote fuel pump relay. The Skylvia is beating us with a lead pipe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your swap seems hard. When I did mine, we had the KA and RB out of the clip in less than 5 hours. What took so long??? Did you unbolt everything. We left everythign on the engines. I jusy disconnected the lower harness, mounts, blah blah blah. Everything else like the main harness stayed on. Who did you get your swap from??? Why would yo ueven attempt to do this swap 1)if it came in an R32. 2)it didnt have the right harness (most important).

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Holy Moses. I'd nickname that engine Frankenstein. Good luck with your swap. I hope it works out ok. Who did you get the motor from?

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah... the only reason I am continuing is because I am now $4 grand into this, and I need to have a running car by the end of this weekend... anways, onto:

Day 4: 11 am - midnight

Today we get the SR to run (it is a sunday so no driveshaft today). Good news though... the rb20det engine was distributor-driven, just like the KA engine, so the wiring harness from the Skylvia should already have all the modifications we need to get the engine to run! We install all the wiring (although some of the plug wires need to be re-arranged), install the rest of the heater hoses, which is a giant pain with the engine in. Also, we hook up all the vacuum hoses, but not sure how this dude's custom boost controller/wastegate/BOV works, so hopefully at idle it should be ok. I spend most of the day altering ALL of the intercooler piping to work in the SR engine (it worked for the r32), and right now, it looks super crappy, but it should be enough to get me to a shop that will make custom intercooler piping or a place where I can buy the stock pipes. I hook up the rs*r downpipe, which AMAZINGLY bolts right to the stock exhaust (I'm out of money, give me a break), I never knew skylines and silvias were so similar... I start drilling to install the clutch assembly, but the space inside the cabin is way too cramped to do it with ease. Seems like everything that goes on in this car takes quadruple the time it should really take. Midnight rolls around, and the car is almost ready to run we think... until we discover that the fuel pump relay wire has been cut... thats when we call it a night. Luckily there's 5 gallons of 100 octane gas in the corner for our use!

To get this to drive I need: s14 spline on the s13 driveshaft, walbro fuel pump, finished wiring harness, finished clutch assembly and bled clutch, capped off power steering holes.

To get it to drive reliably I need: Tach, boost, oil pressure, oil temp, and water temp gauges, real intercooler piping, a real boost controller, hole cut in the bumper for intercooler, shift boot and knob, complete re-arrangement of the vacuum hoses, and a lot of wiring cleanup.

Monday (today) we decided to take a rest from this hassle... but tomorrow I should make more progress and I'll update all of this. Photographs are on the way, and I'll probably make a website documenting the entire shafting process. And yes, we've already named the car frankenstein. Thinking about it... this should be a real monster if it drives. 250 hp & torque + shorter gear ratios of the r32/s14 tranny + shorter final drive from the VLSD + absolutely no exterior mods = the ultimate sleeper (or frankenstein monster). Gotta get it to work first... Updates coming!

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi all (I'm doing this swap with Rexbo)

having taken a look at an uncut SR harness I'm beginning to get some understanding of what mr. hardcore bignuts japanese drifter did to his to jam it in the skyline. i believe the R32 doesn't have the fuel pump relay in the near battery box. can someone verify that there are two associated green relays for the fuel pump? if so i'll have to clip that redundancy. also, anyone else using the AIV power to heat their oxygen sensor? i don't know if it will work.

also, we don't have an SR lower harness and are hacking the KA one, does anyone know if the neutral safety switch is required to start the car? that may be another required hack, i don't recall it on the ECU diagram though, is it routed directly to ignition through the relay box?

any assistance on this hardcore Skyleighty (or Skylvia.. or whatever we'll call it) is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Poleza said:
hi all (I'm doing this swap with Rexbo)

having taken a look at an uncut SR harness I'm beginning to get some understanding of what mr. hardcore bignuts japanese drifter did to his to jam it in the skyline. i believe the R32 doesn't have the fuel pump relay in the near battery box. can someone verify that there are two associated green relays for the fuel pump? if so i'll have to clip that redundancy. also, anyone else using the AIV power to heat their oxygen sensor? i don't know if it will work.

also, we don't have an SR lower harness and are hacking the KA one, does anyone know if the neutral safety switch is required to start the car? that may be another required hack, i don't recall it on the ECU diagram though, is it routed directly to ignition through the relay box?

any assistance on this hardcore Skyleighty (or Skylvia.. or whatever we'll call it) is greatly appreciated
hey man, start another thread, and ull get more awnsers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
current picture of rexbo's swap

okay, rexbo and i are back from the shop, the car is nearly ready to run. needs a new fuel pump and driveshaft.. plus the bumper needs to be reattached, but i think you get the picture here.

SR20DET Redtop S13 + Nissan Skyline R32 Tranny + VG30DETT Injectors + Garrett M-24 / Whatever Hybrid Turbo = this car, whatever you call it

recognize this sickbling?

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all... time to update the progress this week...

First of all, I would like to give MAD propz to Poleza for helping me with this swap. He figured out how to fit an SR/RB wiring harness into a KA car. Hell if I know how to do that! He is the man, and he knows his wiring shit (even mongolian wiring, which is what this car has).

Anyways... to summarize this week: more money, more time. It looks like the hardest stuff in the swap is over, because the engine now turns over and the rest is peripheral. In comes the money.

I need to have a custom driveshaft made ($350) to fit the s14 spline to the s13 driveshaft (the s14 driveshaft is 3 cm too long... what bull). I also need to buy a new high flow fuel pump ($90) so the engine doesn't run lean with the 300zx tt injectors. Then i need to have intercooler piping made if I can't find a stock set of pipes on ebay or something. Then, I'll get some aftermarket gauges and install them, but that shouldn't be bad. Right now its just lots of small stuff to finish everything up.

To do:
1) Torque the oil pan
2) Attach the cut wire on the oil pressure sensor (located right by the
oil filter) to an electronic gauge
3) take the labeled Skyline transmission sensor harness and hook up the
backup light sensor and wire it to where that goes (check the Chilton's
guide)
4) connect the labeled windshield wiper harness from the ECU to the
wiper motor (it apparently uses the ECU for timing purposes, when i had
the KA on in there with the SR Ecu it would turn on the wipers when i
cranked, little bizarre)
5) install the ECU in the passenger footwell once it's all working
6) install driveshaft and torque appropriately
7) install and bleed clutch lines using the clear hose we picked up
8) de-jankify intercooler piping
9) get a cool intake to bolt onto the MAF housing, with a fatty cone,
or super-mega-mushroom
10) secure all coolant lines
11) Re-do all vacuum hoses in non-mongolian fashion
12) Install VLSD
13) Install shift boot & knob & radio
14) Cut hole for intercooler in bumper and install bumper and lights
15) start engine according to the correct procedure
16) write Poleza to diagnose any problems
17) go sideways like a badass

So... I got my hands full for this weekend, and plus i leave on monday for 2 week vacation... great.... Anyways, when I get back I'll try to scan and post some good pictures. Maybe Poleza will too.

I hope you all understand what you are getting into buy deciding to do an engine swap at home! I didn't, and now my life is a living hell! I work from 6 am - 4 pm, go buy car parts, then work on the car from like 6 pm to 11 pm! Repeat procedure until insane!

·
Registered
559 Posts
i hope everyones front clip dosen't come gayified like yours though....i'd called and biotched and got them to give me some money back!!!! i'd say it took long enough to get over here and now its wrong...pay up bitch!!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Largekid said:
i hope everyones front clip dosen't come gayified like yours though....i'd called and biotched and got them to give me some money back!!!! i'd say it took long enough to get over here and now its wrong...pay up bitch!!
agree thats what ive been tellin him but he doesnt listen haha

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well think about what i got:
- Brand new ca18det turbo (thats like a grand right there, cuz its ball bearing i think)
- RS*R downpipe (i want to see anyone find this in the states)
- Racing clutch
- a fatty headache
- new injectors & probably reprogrammed ecu
- s14 transmission (slightly shorter gear ratios)

that's a lot of expensive stuff right there... so i think the fact that it was such a bitch to put in offset the gain of all these sexy parts. Oh well, maybe I will call them...

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright... another update, and more frustration.

The car turns over, the lights turn on, and all the turn signals and other crap turns on, but i don't think it can start right now... the wiring is too fucked, and I don't understand it.

The clutch system is all bled and hooked up, but the clutch is gonne be a real leg-buster, I'm sure there;s a racing clutch in there. A hole is cut in the bumper for the SMIC, but I discovered that its mounted too far back, and the tire is going to hit the wastegate when I turn. Now i get to drill out more holes to enlarge the intercooler thru-frame hole. What a pain. Anyways, today has been really frustrating.

This is what being a car guy (or just a retard) will do for you:
- Make you trade a perfectly running integra for a 240sx with 158k miles and a front clip, then neither one runs
- Take up over 50+ hours of your time in 2 weeks
- Make you get a 6 am - 4 pm job, then work on the car till midnight
- Make your girlfriend move to New York
- Lose all your money
- Drive your dad's saturn because your own car doesnt run.

As I said... living hell

·
Registered
340 Posts
rexbo said:
well think about what i got:
- Brand new ca18det turbo (thats like a grand right there, cuz its ball bearing i think)
- RS*R downpipe (i want to see anyone find this in the states)
- Racing clutch
- a fatty headache
- new injectors & probably reprogrammed ecu
- s14 transmission (slightly shorter gear ratios)

that's a lot of expensive stuff right there... so i think the fact that it was such a bitch to put in offset the gain of all these sexy parts. Oh well, maybe I will call them...

CA18DET turbos are pure crap. Trust me, I know :tears

They are smaller than a stock SR T25, which is a mini upgrade for me :thumbsup

The 300Z injectors are the same as stock, 370cc. Dont if in Japan they are bigger but here they are stock replament for the SR ones.

As for the ecu being reprogrammed, look on the side to see if the seal has been broken. If so, open the ecu up and see if theres a new socketed chip in it.

Are you sure the S14 tranny has lower gear ratios???

As for the driveshaft being 3cm too long, there should be enough play in it to allow you to bolt it up. When I put my J30 LSD, the diff nose was 1/4-1/2" longer and the driveshaft would not fit unless I pushed it back some.

1 - 20 of 239 Posts