Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. after 2 days of trying to get this stuck oil filter off (i've tried everything!!), I've decided to remove the intake manifold.

is there a write up on this? I have the chilton manual but you guys know how that is. anyways, thanks a lot. oh and I can remove it as one unit with out removing the head right? thanks again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just stab through the filter with a screwdriver, through the side, and twist it off. Shitty way to do it but sometimes you gotta.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. hands
2.bigger friends hands
3.filter wrench
4.razor blade to gasket
5. screwdriver stabbed through
6.rebar stabbed through (bad idea)
7. vise grips
8. hammer and chisel

the filter is shredded beyond recognition.

anyways any answers to intake question?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
no believe me it is. the screw driver made 2 parallel tears on either side of the filter, and then the rebar demolished it.
ty for the link, if i remove the bottom IM brackets, can i pull it away from the head and remove as such, just finished 3rd head reassembly in 2 months :\ no lookin forward to another

edit: i left the pcv hose unhooked so either way the head or intake mani needs to come off, just figured be way easier to get oil filter off with no IM in my way, but you are probably right, im sure it could be done with it on there.

edit: hah. i am out here wrenching and i wonder what the torque specs are on the mani brackets. lol
thanks

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
My friend's was stuck for a few months (his car has been down for EVER.) They had tried and tried, and then I came over and gave it a shot and POP it unscrewed. Just took a month of many people trying to get the damn thing off. Are you sure you didn't terribly misthread it? I misthreaded my oil drain plug on my dodge and had to take it to a repair shop and get them to take it off after I stripped the shit out of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i didnt put it in so im not sure. but like i said, no hope of grabbing it with your hands without recieving gnarley lacerations due to screwdriver shredding. ne other tips be great

you guys think i could drive it up to the shop with shredded filter? maybe 4 miles.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I had the exact same problem about 3 weeks ago. I tired an oil filter wrench (broke) screw driver thru (tore the end off) and nothing worked. I just ripped off the oil filter case until the only thing left on the engine was the threaded part with the gasket.
From there I took a long regular screw driver and a hammer and tapped the filter loose with the holes in the end of the filter.
Its kinda tricky but it worked.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the exact same problem about 3 weeks ago. I tired an oil filter wrench (broke) screw driver thru (tore the end off) and nothing worked. I just ripped off the oil filter case until the only thing left on the engine was the threaded part with the gasket.
From there I took a long regular screw driver and a hammer and tapped the filter loose with the holes in the end of the filter.
Its kinda tricky but it worked.

THIS. SAME exact thing just happened to me. I had a filter that was completely sealed onto the oil filter neck. duballstar, you obviously don't understand that shit happens even if you think it doesn't. Please don't post such an asinine statement ever again.

Just rip the case of the filter off, then when it's just the threaded portion and the base still attached to the oil filter neck, take a flatblade screwdriver and a hammer and lightly tap between the case and the oil filter neck. Once you've got a couple areas loose, spray PB blaster in there, hit it with a blowtorch real quick, then use the oil filter wrench to grab the entire base and rotate the entire assembly. It'll come off. And yes, I had to remove the intake manifold.

·
Registered
423 Posts
a big pair of channel locks. Might be easier to come up from underneath the car

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Or, just take the Oil sandwhich plate off... 4 bolts and your done, then you can really work with it out of the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts