Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Supercharger?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  six7seta 
#1 ·
Well, the bottom end of the motor on my 89 240sx is dead; so i figured I'll just build it for 400rwhp. Looking at going supercharged instead of turbo though. (It's a SOHC KA) One of my friends makes adapter kits for the whipple supercharger to go onto a gm 3800supercharged v6, so I'll have him make the kit and get it on there. Would anyone else be interested in a KA whipple supercharger kit if he were to start making them?

#2 ·
that'd be awesome, if you search there are a good many threads about supercharging a ka, of course none of them ever happen. make yours and post a bunch of pictures, i'm sure someone will be interested. i know i am. i've always thought the KA would be a torque slut with a supercharger strapped on it.

#4 ·
400whp on a daily driven supercharged 240? good freakin luck...not that it's impossible, its just not cost effective/reliable at that point. 300 would be doable supercharged with work, but i doubt you'll put down 400 wheel... nothing personal, just looking at the facts here...

#5 ·
docrice said:
400whp on a daily driven supercharged 240? good freakin luck...not that it's impossible, its just not cost effective/reliable at that point. 300 would be doable supercharged with work, but i doubt you'll put down 400 wheel... nothing personal, just looking at the facts here...
400 daily driven could definitely be done, although how many days you drive it under that kind of constant boost could be numbered. you'd definitely want to have a nicely built ka. I'd go with lower for daily driven(IMO there's no reason to have that much power prowlin the streets, streetracing is :greddy: ) and then for competition just slap on the bigger pulley and you're set.

and docrice please tell me what facts you have that varify 400hp is not do-able with a supercharger? it's do-able with a turbo right? its the same concept except its belt driven and has a linear increase in power. 400 is completely reachable.

#6 ·
240SXAddict said:
and docrice please tell me what facts you have that varify 400hp is not do-able with a supercharger? it's do-able with a turbo right? its the same concept except its belt driven and has a linear increase in power. 400 is completely reachable.
yeah but w/ a turbo it uses exhaust gases which is waste whereas a supercharger uses energy from the motor. I believe it takes at least 20% from the engine.

#7 ·
I dont think the eaton m90 even with a 2 inch pulley will put out 400 hp on a ka. There not the best sc in the world. There good to like 12-15 psi of boost then they get heat soaked really fast. Trust me i had a gm w body and i boosted the hell out of it.

#8 ·
The whipple is far more efficient in it's twin screw design than a regular roots blower (aka l67 eaton m90). I am doing a fresh rebuild; and was planning on forged. I think 350 would probably be better for daily tune, who knows what i'll end up with. the whipple model i'm going to use can support 700hp IIRC.

#11 ·
its true a turbo will probably be more efficient, but its also about where you want your powerband. don't tell me instant boost wouldn't feel good, even if it isn't the most efficient. now if he could just get past all the problems. http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=136304 is the only SC/Nissan article i've been able to find so far.

a modified procharger kit from the 350z would be nice

#12 ·
I also plan to supercharge my KA24E...

It seems doable but no major shops have gotten behind it so the support and precident just isnt there. For the KA supercharger should be just fine, it has plenty of low end grunt so spinning that pulley with no load is negligible and spinning it with load woulbe be barely noticeable. The KA's nature seems to lend itself to supercharging in the first place. Looking at my dyno graph, the torque curve and hp are so solid. Ive driven my friends eclipse with 15 and 21psi and I hated it. I love the instant power feeling but I also want 250-300rwhp. Supercharger also seems to be a better choice for autoX and drifting because of the smooth power. There is no sudden burst of power as you are turning and it would be much more predictable. Sure with turbo you can make 600-700whp and counting on the ka, but not everyone wants a dyno queen.

Heres some good reading material...
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8833&highlight=supercharger
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72399

Then when you look at what PDM did with their turbo ka... 8.8psi 295rwhp. So if you can make 10psi of boost, it is possible to make 300rwhp with proper tuning. A supercharger can easily make 10psi. If you are shooting for 400whp though then the necessary blower and pulleys will make a noticeable hole in the low end.

#13 ·
Ok, I'm gonna dispell some myths here. Whipple Superchargers are a twin screw type; not a traditional roots, or a centrifigual (procharger). It has no linear chart to it; you put the pedal down and you'll stay at that boost level. Prochargers and the like generally are geared so they make more boost as the rpms go up. I'm going to have the engine built to handle plenty of power; and I don't plan on keeping it easy on the car. I'm going to drive it to get my moneys worth haha. 03 Mustang Cobra guys are throwing whipples on thier cars and making 600+ hp easily, while still having completely reliable set-ups. I plan on bieng able to run 450whp on race gas, smaller pulley and different tuning, so I don't think that is too far out of range. I think the reason nobody has supercharged the KA yet is that nobody is willing to take the effort of doing something new.

#14 ·
Pioneering can be very costly. there are actually quite a few peps with half finished KA24E/DER's but no one has one up and running like they want. Several people over on NICO claim they have them but never post... If a major shop got behind it im sure supercharging would be a breeze bu tit's hard enough to get a shop to jump on the KA bandwagon as is. Look at how long it took just to get an intake manifold created for the DE. I believe that enjuku was putting out feelers for a KA24DE-R kit a while back but I dont know how serious that was. Supercharging seems like a great option for the ka though if you arent trying to set any records and just having fun and doing something different.

#15 ·
just to add to this, im one of the ones doing a supercharged ka. it is costly and will take a lot of time, but im building mine from scratch instead of salvage parts like most people, which is partly why its said that supercharging a ka is worthless. I do plan on going with a simple trubo kit as i build up the motor and to also have a dyno sheet for turbo to compare to the supercharger. you problay wont see too many updates from me about it becuase the cost and time it will take, but i will be sure to show how I did it and what the outcome was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.