Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so im new to this 240 game, i recently bought a 92 coupe power everything and about a week after i noticed the engine when i first got it started it made a clicking noise. iv researched and been to a few mechanics and personal mechanics. i have been told it the plastic guides that have gone bad but......they want to charge me aroud 300-400 bucks for the fix one said i gotta change the chain and the guides and everything and the other said just the guides.........Now iv researched and read that nissan had a recall on this and all i have to do is remove the upper guides and problem solved.

My question is ..........Can i just remove the upper 2 plastic guides or is there more to this clicking than i think???? if anyone has a good write up it would be great too, i want to start cleaning up my interior but i want to get my car perfectly sound befor i do anything else.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you can remove the top guide. take off the valve cover. there are two bolts that hold the guide to the head. remove those and reinstall the valve cover. done. i am not sure how familiar you are with it but it is at the front of the engine above the timing chain between the cam gears. the bolts are between the cams.

easy peasy lemon squeezy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have this ticking sound as well on my KA24DE S13 '92.
New to Nissan I believed the timing chain had gone wrong but I've read on the holy interwebz that the sound is caused by this guide as mentioned in this thread.
But I'm not completely sure which one it is. So could you tell me if it's the red one or the green one. :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Its neither, and actually its not in that pic. Its basically a flat peice of metal that is ontop of the chain. What happens is that it breaks and then just sits on top of the chain causing it to make that horrible noise. Just take off the valve cover you should see it imediatly.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The Green one is your tensioner, the RED one is a tension guide

You need to check for this one, and if it is there, remove it.

If it is NOT that, let us know

·
Another squid on a Gixxer
1,448 Posts
no, you do not need to put those 2 screws back in.. they are only there to hold the guide in place, however, hold onto them just in case!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts