Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to make sure that the KA24E is in correct timing without ripping the whole thing apart?

Or does the computer control timing?

I have no idea.

·
OG
1,731 Posts
With all due respect, you really don't have any idea. I won't flame you, but you should have done some research on this. Google, Nissan and timing, I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information.

There's two things that change timing, adjustment of the distributor cap and the ECU. The dist cap sets your base timing that the ECU assumes is whatever is spec'd for a KA24E, probably 20 degrees. While the engine is running the ECU is almost constantly changing the timing, even at idle.

Use the search function for learning how to set "base" timing.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Loosen distributor (dont take the bolts out, just loose enough to turn) and start the engine. Unplug the TPS and set the timing to 15* BTDC.
The marks on the crank pulley from left to right are +5, 0, -5, -10, -15, -20

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where in the FSM am I finding the process for setting timing?

Does anything (besides the idle) change while I turn the distributor while running? Or will the pin/pulleymark alignment change?

I have never understood timing, and I've even done timing belts before, but simply just turned the distributor until it ran the best. I don't quite understand how to set timing accurately, or how to check if it out of spec.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Yes timing will effect idle. Timing isn't really all that complicated, its just when the spark plugs are fired.
The degree of timing (say 15 degrees BTDC) means that 15 degrees before the piston reaches TDC the spark plug fires igniting the air/fuel mixture.
A more advance timing will give the engine more time to complete burning all the fuel and drive the piston down harder.
A more retarded setting will not give the engine enough time to ignite the air/fuel properly and will still being combusting after the piston starts its way back down causing a negative effect in power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes yes I understand that aspect of timing, and like I said, I can understand how turning the distributor makes those changes.

However, I have never understood what the damn timing marks do. Do they move? Does it appear like the timing pin/marks alignment changes? Do you move the crank pulley while the distributor is loose (i'd assume not because the car is running).

·
Registered
423 Posts
The timing marks on the crank pulley will change orientation with respect to spark timing. One thing was left of of the post of ka24e. You would hook up a timing gun to the #1 spark plug wire and to the battery. As the voltage travels through the plug wire it will cause the gun to strobe. You point the gun at the crank pulley. it will strobe as the cylinder is firing, lighting up the pulley marks (basically making it in slow motion as strobes do). As you turn the dizzy, it will change the timing thus you can use the strobe to set the marks on the pulley to the indicator located on the front cover. Once you have the cylinder firing to 15' you are set, lock down the dizzy and enjoy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I didn't quite understand the whole idea that the strobe of the timing light makes the marks appear to be moving.

So with this new found information, I should be able to get a slight power/MPG boost by going to -18 or so?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Usually when you advance timing you will gain a little more response and power at the expense of MPG's. A more retarded setting will get you a few more MPG's but you will lose response and power.
I would say 12-13* for more MPG's and 17-20* for more power.
Mine is currently set at 19* on 93 octane and it runs perfect.
If you plan on running 18* make sure you use 93 octane and listen for pinging.

·
Registered
27 Posts
wth

Yes timing will effect idle. Timing isn't really all that complicated, its just when the spark plugs are fired.
The degree of timing (say 15 degrees BTDC) means that 15 degrees before the piston reaches TDC the spark plug fires igniting the air/fuel mixture.
A more advance timing will give the engine more time to complete burning all the fuel and drive the piston down harder.
A more retarded setting will not give the engine enough time to ignite the air/fuel properly and will still being combusting after the piston starts its way back down causing a negative effect in power.

Where the hell did you learn this shit? THIS IS AWESOME!!!! You pretty much summmed up like 3 of my probs in two sentences...Kudos my dude!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts