Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well I would post this in the f.a.q section but I don't have access cuz I'm new. But anyways here it goes.

I have a 1990 and about 95% complete with the kade swap. After the harness was hooked up all wiring under the dash was done and ecu was plugged in I had no spark and no fuel. Fuel pump out not prime at all. To make sure the fuel pump didn't stop working on me I jumped the egi pump relay in the fuse box on passenger side. Instantly the fuel pump turned on. So pump was not the problem. Next I used a volt light test to see if the coil was getting power as well as the distributor. Both had nothing. Finally I looked at the back of my ecu to see if the led light was on when the key was in on position. No light at all.

After spending about 5 hours tracing wires I tight I should check my ecu.

Pulled it open and..... Wala pin #36 was fried right before the resistor. This pin is what turns your ecu on when the key is on. Another way to test this before pulling the ecu apart is by jumping prong 3 and 5 on the egi relay. If you do this and your ecu turns on it is most likely that pin #36 is blown.

I have read a post about this relay not working all over the place with no real solution. I hope this hehelps someone. Or at least takes on more thing that could be wrong out of the equation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The million dollar question however is, what causes this to happen? If a trace on a PCB is smoked, it's because too much current was passed through it, and if it happened quick enough to not damage anything else, it was likely a LOT of current - kind of like a short. I would suspect it will happen again when repaired/replaced unless the root cause is found and remedied.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i was thinking the same thing so i used a volt tester on the wire that goes to pin 36 and traced it all the way back. i am almost positive my car did not cause this problem. the guy who i bought the motor from to do the swap must have had the issue and sold me his problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright well I would post this in the f.a.q section but I don't have access cuz I'm new. But anyways here it goes.

I have a 1990 and about 95% complete with the kade swap. After the harness was hooked up all wiring under the dash was done and ecu was plugged in I had no spark and no fuel. Fuel pump out not prime at all. To make sure the fuel pump didn't stop working on me I jumped the egi pump relay in the fuse box on passenger side. Instantly the fuel pump turned on. So pump was not the problem. Next I used a volt light test to see if the coil was getting power as well as the distributor. Both had nothing. Finally I looked at the back of my ecu to see if the led light was on when the key was in on position. No light at all.

After spending about 5 hours tracing wires I tight I should check my ecu.

Pulled it open and..... Wala pin #36 was fried right before the resistor. This pin is what turns your ecu on when the key is on. Another way to test this before pulling the ecu apart is by jumping prong 3 and 5 on the egi relay. If you do this and your ecu turns on it is most likely that pin #36 is blown.

I have read a post about this relay not working all over the place with no real solution. I hope this hehelps someone. Or at least takes on more thing that could be wrong out of the equation.
So have the issue to the resistor blowing ever been figured out on why out happens and them happened again?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts