Nissan 240SX Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Nothing too wild. Daily 18 silverado. 86 C10 pickup that's currently torn down for frame powdercoat. That's getting a 5.3 and twin 66s. 97 3/4ton gmc for a tow pig.
I'm gonna need pics and mod list on both!

How is the steering on the silverado?

I love me some squarebodies. Check my build thread, I have some pics in there of my Suburban.

You can still find some decent S chassis for realistic pricing, whether you want mods on it or a fairly stock car.

The steering on the silverado is alright. Pretty light most of the time. My brother had programming issues on his 16 silverado. They ended up replacing a bunch of stuff on his.

Stupid electric power steering...

The C10 is still in it's infancy. I've had the truck for 2 years, but haven't done much until 'Rona came. I have more free time...

How are we posting pictures? Photobucket garbage still?

·
The Irrelevant Mod
29,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm gonna need pics and mod list on both!
It's all good babe, as long as you show your face every now and then; we don't need you to check in every time you wipe your butt.
I'm going to keep on trying. Since there's a curfew in effect it should make it easier, but the days I have to work I'm out in the sun for about 8-9 hours, so I usually come home drained like a virgin with a hooker.
My fiancee's Versa has a clunking sound now when she steers and she was told it's because of that. Now we have to look for someone that can deal with it without charging us up the wazoo.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
The steering on the silverado is alright. Pretty light most of the time. My brother had programming issues on his 16 silverado. They ended up replacing a bunch of stuff on his.

The C10 is still in it's infancy. I've had the truck for 2 years, but haven't done much until 'Rona came. I have more free time...

How are we posting pictures? Photobucket garbage still?

Yeah, at my old job I worked with electric power steering. I recall that gen of silverado/Sierra had issues cutting in and out while making low speed turns. It has been almost a year since I've worked there so I am losing a lot, but I think it was mainly a programming issue. I think the control unit would falsely detect an implausible signal if it didn't receive a steering angle input fast enough from the sensor and I believe the fix was just a reflash from GM.

IMO, not worth it to extract another 0.4-0.8 mpg because those steering racks were not cheap ($2-3000 steering racks) plus whatever sensors plus always having to get it updated at a dealer with their own scan tool.

Another tip I have to share with you is to pay extra attention to your tie rod boots. Hydraulic power steering racks can live for a while with a torn boot (My personal experience has been almost 7 years). I have seen light duty trucks in the inner city, that I know have not been off road or contractor trucks that have a shit ton of rust. These are trucks that are 2016 and newer. Steering racks have been pitted and there's no way to fix it (usually rusts on the ball screw portion of the rack where the motor rides on)

Knowing what I know now with the auto industry and where it's going, it just makes me want to buy all the old cars and parts that I can.

I've been using Flickr, probably just going to make multiple accounts to prevent another Photobucket.

I'm going to keep on trying. Since there's a curfew in effect it should make it easier, but the days I have to work I'm out in the sun for about 8-9 hours, so I usually come home drained like a virgin with a hooker.

My fiancee's Versa has a clunking sound now when she steers and she was told it's because of that. Now we have to look for someone that can deal with it without charging us up the wazoo.
Sounds like you need some Red Bull. I wanted to link a GIF of Dave chappelles Red Balls skit but I can't find any good ones.

https://youtu.be/ZChCBbwkV5Y?t=91

The Nissan EPS I remember they just wanted us to adjust a potentiometer but that was for the Rogue / Qashqai. The Versa's I never really got to work with but I had an OEM unit (the benchmark units we weren't allowed to touch)
From what I could tell, I would think there is a bushing/grommet in between the Motor shaft and the work gear on the actual column that is most likely worn. It's probably a $4 part with a moderate amount of labor involved. The Newer Hyundai steering columns had this exact problem.

·
The Irrelevant Mod
29,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds like you need some Red Bull. I wanted to link a GIF of Dave chappelles Red Balls skit but I can't find any good ones.

https://youtu.be/ZChCBbwkV5Y?t=91

The Nissan EPS I remember they just wanted us to adjust a potentiometer but that was for the Rogue / Qashqai. The Versa's I never really got to work with but I had an OEM unit (the benchmark units we weren't allowed to touch)
From what I could tell, I would think there is a bushing/grommet in between the Motor shaft and the work gear on the actual column that is most likely worn. It's probably a $4 part with a moderate amount of labor involved. The Newer Hyundai steering columns had this exact problem.
If I even think of drinking that or anything like it my heart will explode.

Considering how things work here, she's more than likely going to opt to take it to a Nissan near her since time will be of the essence to fix it. And I doubt it's going to be anywhere near as comfortable as $4.

·
The Irrelevant Mod
29,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm trying so hard not to disappear, but I hate rotating schedules and having so much to do. I got e-mail notification about your post and that's why I took a minute.

I want night mode.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts