Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, My plans to sell/trade in my 98 blazer for a 240sx project is out the window. My brother totalled the blazer about a week ago and is not covered on the insurance. I moved out of my house with a garage, into my girlfriend's apartment with her kid. The maxima is getting too old and falling apart. I love my nissan, but I think I'm going to trade it in for a 1994-1998 lexus sc400. Ive seen a couple for sale ranging from $4k-$7k

Anyone know anything about them? The reviews Ive been reading have been pretty consistant, saying they handle well, have power, and are very reliable over 150K miles. How are the aftermarket prices though? Any common problems? Anyone know anyone that owns one? They happy with it? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you want something reliable yet you want to fuck with it?

Yes. It will be my only car so I want it to be relaible until I can save up for a second car. Then I will proceed to fuck with it and use my second car as a daily driver....probably another altima.

I like to have at least 2 cars at a time....incase something breaks, I dont have to worry about getting to and from work or whatever.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
well, since your looking at a lexus...i dont know why you would want to fuck with it. just let it be, use IT as your daily driver, and pick up a 2nd car that is actually worth dumping money into.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
because it is a RWD v8...The reason I was wanting it as a temporary DD is because I can only afford one with like 100K+ miles. So that would give me about 5 months to pay it off after trading the maxima and a down payment (money i got from the junk yard for the 98jimmy) then another 5 months to save for a reliable 4 door (because i child seat in a 2 door is a bitch)....Then the lexus would become the project. Anyways...it was a long shot but i figured SOMEONE knew someone with one that could give me some feedback.

About all ive got so far is mostly electrical problems like the power tilt steering, guage needles stop illuminating and the speakers/stereo shorts out, and the power steering tends to leak, on the alternator....making the alternator go out shortly after the powersterring.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
These Lexus's seem to be the new 240s. Those and s2000s.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Except an s2000 has about 4 torque...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I went to drive this lexus sc400 today (with intentions on buying it) I was not impressed....It didnt have the power I expected from a v8. Street noise was terrible for a "luxury" car....The front end was way loose....almost squirly at 70+....I hope something was wrong with the car, because if thats how all of them drive....F-THAT! Ive heard less road noise in classic trucks. I had my heart set on this car....I havent been so disappointed since carlos mencia got on comedy central.

Here is the selection of 240's in my area on autotrader. :(
Find Your Car: Nissan 240SX Listing Near Oklahoma City, OK - AutoTrader.com

I am feeling forced to go to a 5.0 mustang....I dont want to....It seems like i cant throw a stone in a parkinglot around here without hitting one....but damn :( Anyone know of any other good RWD's for less than $7k other than miatas and MR2's? I looked at 300zx, but they are all like $10k with a million miles on them.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
10k? The ones I find are around 6k or 7k and have around 150k or less miles on them. Check craigslist. You could go for a BMW 325is 1995 area. The e36 body style is seeeeexxxxyyyy. And they are BULLETPROOF. One of my friends drifts hers with over 200k miles and then drives it home about 7 hours from the event. Although you might become a cock mongler if you drive a BMW...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
10k? The ones I find are around 6k or 7k and have around 150k or less miles on them. Check craigslist. You could go for a BMW 325is 1995 area. The e36 body style is seeeeexxxxyyyy. And they are BULLETPROOF. One of my friends drifts hers with over 200k miles and then drives it home about 7 hours from the event. Although you might become a cock mongler if you drive a BMW...

I always wanted a bmw, but didnt know hardly anything about them. No one I know owns one. Thats worth looking into...Thanks.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Forgot to warn, they are cock monglers. Then again, it is a BMW forum.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HAHA! Yeah....bimmer or not, its still under $7k....some new kias cost more than that, so i cant exactly go around with my balls hanging out my zipper....Im going to look at a 528i sedan with less than 100k when the weather gets better....I also saw that some z3's are cheap, but i dont know about a 4cyl bmw....If I like it and dont want to fix it up, it will make a good DD so I can go back to my original plan of getting a 95+ 240 project....patience i guess.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
BMW without an I6 is a sin in my opinion haha. d: Although the Z3 ways about 4 and a half pounds.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A 1997 240sx just came available at a local dealership for $3995...It appears to be stock, the only bad thing is mileage is unlisted.

If anyone a carfax subscription, it would be awesome if you could carfax this.
VIN: JN1AS44D6VW103126

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Well, it has 28 reports (I don't have a membership). And after reading the reports description, it doesn't seem like a report can ever really be a good thing. They include tampering with the mileage, accidents, inspections, new owners, and "reported as a lemon". Hopefully someone can come along and get you a more detailed report. Although, I'm pretty sure it has been in a wreck, maybe two, from the sounds of it haha.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts