Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its about time to get a set of fans. Me being the super paranoid person I am I figured I would get the input of my fellow Rb owners.

I was going to buy a set of 12" permacool's but I kinda blew that money on other parts. I have found a couple of 12" fans, they push 1500 CFM's. Im farily sure this would be sufficient for cooling, just wanted to make sure.
I also have a Koyo radiator, nismo thermostat, new water pump, bla bla so I dont think I should have to worry about heating up. I could get 1 16" pushing double but I would rather have the duel setup.

Watcha think?:12dunno

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like Flex a Lite fans... Idk what the difference is between the two as far as life span and performacne go but I haven't heard bad things about them

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
i had permacool fans on my rb20 and they worked quite well.
remember tho that most fans are rated at a hypothetical cfm and thats in a puller arangement, when set up as pushers they are only approx 80% as efficient as if they were pullers.
make sure that what ever fans you use cover most of the radiator and have a combined airflow of atleast 3k cfm, that will keep the motor plenty cool.
also ducting is key with rb swaps so some simple sheetmetal ducts will work wonders.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well i just installed two fans, a 12 inch permacool and a 14 inch one, both pushers, Fluidnye Rad, and N1 water pump.. at idle when warm the fans keep my temp right about the 2nd, mid second notch up.. as soon as i start driving my temp plumets back down to nothing.. so basically this allows me just to turn them off while driving, and if i come to a rest for a while turn them back on.. otherwise my motor stays nice and cool.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I could afford a set of flex-a-lite's I would get em, If I could afford a set of permacool's i would grab those up, lol. I might do like shockster said and run a 14" permacool and one of those cheapo 12" 1500 cfm jobs. I just dont want her heating up on me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah I'm hoping my ebay sheetmetal duct will help with my cooling issues. Some see as much as a 20 degree difference. I saw on a website where I guy tested the affects of different fans and ducts and radiators with a SR to see what worked best and had the greatest benefit adn the duct was the winner. For 15 bucks why not get one. I am currently running a permacool 14" which sounds like a vacuum cleaner its ridiculous. I am running a 12" off brand one. The permacool is ran of a temp switch and the 12 is running off a manual switch. My car still ran hot after the fmic was attached. It could have been from the blocking of the radiator or my IC ducting. I'll figure it out one way or another. If I find that site where they experimented I'll post it up. Dual 12" will be good I had dual 10" and they were fine with the SMIC. I also switched to the skyline radiator instead of the sohc one I had.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A duct like a cooling panel? Or simply something behind the side openings of the bumper? lets see that ebay duct, i searched and came up with zilch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Panel is what I meant I said duct cause it basically ducts the air through the radiator instead of up and around as it normally would do. I figured you guys would understand what I was talking about. Sorry not to clarify.
~ANDREW

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK heres what I got. 1 12" pulling 1500 CFM and 1 14" pulling 2300 CFM.

Also got one of the cooling panels on the way. I will post pics for those who wanted them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I like pizza-flavored Pop-Tarts

Nice fans, where did you get them...price? 3800CFM should keep everything nice and cool...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got'em on sale from a local place called White Performance & Machine. Cant beat it plus they have a warranty so its basically like cheese you can play with out side, and it doesnt just come in cheddar. Hellz yeah!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I used the a/c fan from my car and from my clip next to each other acting as pushers and i've never had cooling promblems since.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Does anyone still have the plastic shroud for the belt-driven fan from their GTS-T clip?

I'm running the KA fan and it fits pretty well w/ a few modifications. All I need now is the shroud I shouldn't have thrown away... But I do plan on getting fans in the future. Also I'll probably make the ducting for the rad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have heard of people using a Ford Taurus 3.8l cooling fan. Has anyone tried this? This is a puller fan and I didnt know if it could be switched to a pusher.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts