Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kinda a pointless story but i havent posted anything in a while. these guys in some of my classes are into cars, and in on class we got to talking, one of them has a n/a dodge stealth with 3000gt body parts on it and the other kid is into VW's.. not really my bag but any car kids have something in common i guess. i mentioned a rb20 and they shit their pants in disbelive. they begged me to drive it to class
so last night i did and it was hilarious.. we went down the local connector, one in the passengers seat, one in the back seat, and i just stepped in it a little. it was wet out so at a stop light spun through first and hit 2nd hard kicked my back end out..
they guys were like giggling in a little kid nervous way.. they kept on the fact that i have a skyline engine, i tell them its the 'lower' model motor i guess.. not a the 26 that everybody creams over.. but they didnt care

I dunno pointless story but i thought it was funny. weird how I got used to this car and how my perception of fast and other peoples perceptions differ..

heres a recent pic. dirty with sand and bird shit

·
Registered
509 Posts
haha yeah thats a typical rb20 story for me as well. People ask what motor does my car have... I tell them. THey give me the wtf? face and so I say skyline and they pewp their pants. Then you have to explain that its not "godzilla";etc. :p But giving people a dose of the lil skyline is very fun. Most people don't believe such a small displacement I6 even exists! I'm assuming you have the stock turbo?

·
Registered
736 Posts
lol.. someone asked me to give them a ride in my car because he wanted to see what's so great about SR20's after class this one day, and he nearly shit his pants in my car... would'nt let go of my door handle bar thing...I only punched it through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... I dont understand why? Then he kept asking me what I did to the motor and I just said it's stock. (I have an RB25, but I told him it's just a stock sr20). I was on 12 psi when I gave him the ride. Guess he was just too used to driving and riding in civics... go figure..

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
everytime i mention i have a rb20 ppl scoff and are like, why didnt you get a rb26........
whatever tho their loss, literaly, all they end up seeing is the arse end of my car.
when i was in ny looking at schools and hanging out with Jp over this past summer we went to the local 'meet spot' in albany, and from what ive been told after i left the car left ppl in disbelief with quotes such as 'when he rolled up we didnt think much of the car but when he left and it sounded like a street bike ppl came running out to see what it was.".
they are good little motors and can hold their own, but for the most part while the 'prestige' of owning a rb gets old having satisfaction in building something that really shouldnt be done just grows stronger.

did i mention when i took some one for a ride they said it was like the first fast and the furious when the hit the NAAAWWWSSZZZZZ button...... that was amusing.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I can relate to what has been said.. besides my close friends and buddies, adding up to about 5 people in all have ridin in my car, i wasnt even hitting WOT and they all are freaking. breaking the tires loose in 1st gear.. not at WOt that suprised me... its a very amusing feeling. i keep to myself about my car, if someone asks and they actually kinda know about cars ill explain it to them, but for the most part people have no idea, and are pretty ignorant towards it, some think im lieing, i just laugh. Hitting the streets in summer, and during a huge meet around here come spring should be a very fun time for me, most people have no idea what fast is, im finding more and more it seems to be from what they tell me every mustang is fast.. "that kind of metaility", it makes me smile :rotflmao

·
Registered
349 Posts
Carl H said:
everytime i mention i have a rb20 ppl scoff and are like, why didnt you get a rb26........
whatever tho their loss, literaly, all they end up seeing is the arse end of my car.
when i was in ny looking at schools and hanging out with Jp over this past summer we went to the local 'meet spot' in albany, and from what ive been told after i left the car left ppl in disbelief with quotes such as 'when he rolled up we didnt think much of the car but when he left and it sounded like a street bike ppl came running out to see what it was.".
they are good little motors and can hold their own, but for the most part while the 'prestige' of owning a rb gets old having satisfaction in building something that really shouldnt be done just grows stronger.

did i mention when i took some one for a ride they said it was like the first fast and the furious when the hit the NAAAWWWSSZZZZZ button...... that was amusing.
I get that alot to from ppl wondering why the RB20 rather than a 26

·
Registered
277 Posts
Chaos The Xile said:
I get that alot to from ppl wondering why the RB20 rather than a 26
its amazing how much people talk about the people who dont know any better but yet i still see plenty of people who do know better being just as ignorant. this is not directed tward you Chaos' but your post is what made me say this.

when i first got my SR in all my freinds,who thought my old high compression built integra was fast, all shit their pants and asked my why i even bother'd with hondas when shit like this was available:crazyrant

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
Black240ct car is fast. Seen it in person. When he "raced" my friend he killed him by 6 - 7 cars before he stopped if not more. Now I know what I'll be dealing with. Just Im going to have a bigger turbo and bigger injectors when its done. And I say "raced" because... well.... it really wasnt a race. Its like trying to run against a car lol.

I told my automotive teacher about me having a I6 turbocharged 2.0 l and he looked at me like i was retarded. "They dont making any 2.0 l turbocharged cars kid" I just smiled and softely said to myself "stick with your demo-stics" Hes a big chevy lover.

After me purchasing the rb20 a few friends came over and said "DAMN! thing is big! how is it going to fit" one actually was walking around the engine for 10 mins trying to figure out what it is. And some are threatening me to install it lol. I just dont have all the resources to do that. They are really curious about it and Im excited about it. Makes me feel good and special :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i have pretty much a stock rb20, when ppl give me shit about not getting a 25 or 26 i just explain a college kids finacial situation and how i havent broke $5,000 yet

they shut up cause most honda motors people buy are 3000-3800 (from my buddies motors) and i think i have the best bang for a buck or something

·
Registered
277 Posts
Black240Ct said:
yeah i have pretty much a stock rb20, when ppl give me shit about not getting a 25 or 26 i just explain a college kids finacial situation and how i havent broke $5,000 yet

they shut up cause most honda motors people buy are 3000-3800 (from my buddies motors) and i think i have the best bang for a buck or something
amen. its funny to me how people can buy an itr swap for like 4500 but get all cheap when wanting to spend the same money for an rb26 clip:greddy:

·
Registered
630 Posts
*Not being a dick*

For those of you who bought RB20's, was cost the main concern? Not "dissing" the RB20's at all (it's an RB, how can you)...but just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
turbose said:
*Not being a dick*

For those of you who bought RB20's, was cost the main concern? Not "dissing" the RB20's at all (it's an RB, how can you)...but just curious.
lol, for me it wasnt because when i got my rb20 it was nearly 3 years ago before this swap got 'big'.
i got mine with the full intention of doing a rb24 stroker but ive since found that the 20 is fine on its own.
i think for most ppl now cost is an issue and it irrritates me that they do it because of that and then come whining and bitching about all the problems they are having because they were too cheap to keep up with swap parts (clutch, good fans, timing belt, water pump, ect....).
if you cant afford to pay then dont play, its as simple as that.
the total cost of my rebuild thus far has been rediculous, so much that it should deter people from blowing stuff up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i agree. first i wanted a sr20 but didnt want the price.. so i was going to settle with a ca18, Jay down at jgycustoms talked me out of the ca18 and directed me to a rb20 ( both motor sets were 1500) i did some research.. harrassed carl and john, and went with the rb20. the price was a plus but now having done this swap twice ive learns its definitly better to not rush things and not cheap out of the parts you get.. like carl said fans, clutch, etc...

so i am fond of the 1500 but still coughed up the cash for the mounts, ic, clutch, all that jazz

the factor that made me go with another rb20 for my 2nd motor swap was the sound.. after selling my first rb s13 and driving a near death ka all summer long i really missed the sound of the rb20

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
turbose said:
*Not being a dick*

I didnt want to get a SR20 because everyone here has it and imo I think its played out. Would do a KA-T over SR any day but wouldnt mind having a SR at the same time.

Well at first I wanted the RB25 for its displacement but "didnt" have the money. Seriously how can you pass up a motorset for $1100 shipped? For what I spent now I could of bought a RB25 but wouldnt have any mods for the engine. After hearing Black240ct car I fell in love with the sound. Its alot better in person then over the net.

·
Registered
509 Posts
turbose said:
*Not being a dick*

I got the 20 because at the time feb of '04 I never even heard of it. I knew I wasn't going to do the SR from the get go when I first bought the car. I had already owned an srdet in my b13sentra. Not to mention the sound of the I4 wasn't what I wanted anymore. I was going to be different any way I could. It was either a 1jz, 20b or an RB. The rb20 basically fell in my lap and so in it went. Cost really wasnt the issue for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Its funny how everyone has their RB's stories and funny enough, they all are the same. I took a few buddies of mine out, none of them are into cars mind you. But they all have domestics with the moto "bigger is better etc". Anyways so once I got my engine in and running how I wanted, I took them out. I punched it through first 3 gears. Get off the highway to turn back towards home. Huge smiles, it was amazing. So they're like "wow that was so fast, how big is your friggin engine" I'm like, just a stock 2 litre. The look on their face was priceless

·
240-kid
47,146 Posts
How much did you guys pay for your Motorset/Clips?

Black240Ct said:

Because I know a place where You can get an R33 RB25 for 3300 which is lees then the S14 SR clip I saw

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
240-kid said:
How much did you guys pay for your Motorset/Clips?

Because I know a place where You can get an R33 RB25 for 3300 which is lees then the S14 SR clip I saw

Man are you serious. If you haven't looked/seen what most motorsets are going for give up. Pricing is usually going to dictate condition of the motor. Now this isn't always true, but most of the time it is. That is on the high side, but if the motor is in excellent condition then it would be worth it...

On a side note I am actually taking two or three guys out today for a ride in mine. I have a little rule that I use for anyone that rides in the car. I tell them if at any moment they start smiling or giggling I am stopping the car. It is pucking hilarious seeing someone wanting to smile, but trying not to when I take them for a ride along...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts