Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to start I have a 1991 s13 with an sr20det and tranny to match. I have a couple bolt ons the clutch was a red bunny kit old from the previous owner. I use a stand-alone so I got tuned made 330 at 15lbs My tuner told me that the clutch wouldn’t last but have fun with it for now and to come back once I got it replaced. I never did and eventually my transmission started to slip and smoke pretty bad whenever I was under boost. Eventually I replaced it with act 6 puck good for 576ftlbs and made it “future proof” if I ever wanted to make more one day. I though this fixed the smoking issue when I took it for a test drive and it did for about 2-3 hours then when going up a hill it started bellowing out the back but only when I let off in 3rd 4th or 5th after a pull. I did a small break in just slipped the clutch hard a couple of times as I’ve always done with pucked clutches. Anyways I’m just kinda stuck. I have a hunch that transmission fluid is leaking somewhere either out the top of my shifter, my shortened breather tube or out the draft seals it’s hard to tell because there’s fluid everywhere under there I’ve never cleaned it really. I think this is causing the trans to heat up and when under load the g force is causing the fluid to slosh to places with hot spots and burning the fluid causing all the smoke. I just wanted a second opinion on it as I don’t have many friends that have modified cars so they don’t really run into these issues like I do. All help or opinion would be appreciated I’ll try to get to back to everybody as soon as I can when I find a solution and just to see what you guys have to say. Thank you in advance -Logan
Ps. With the new clutch the transmission doesn’t slip when smoking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys just an update for everybody I did solve the problem, it was transmission fluid leaking out of the short shifter and hitting the exhaust mixed with Huge cracks in my crank case vent hose. I wanted to finish out the thread Incase anybody else had the same issue in the future. Long story short get a short shifter that comes with or uses the stock dust boot or retro fit one. See if that fixes your problem like it did mine.

·
Administrator
2,091 Posts
Man that was a long read but I'm glad it worked out for you.
Your transmission shouldn't be getting that hot to start with. Capacity is around 2.4L which makes me think you have it overfilled.
There isn't supposed to be any fluid coming out of the shifter hole for the trans. The boot is more so a dust boot.
Your exhaust shouldn't be THAT close to the trans. I think I had at least 4-6 inches separating the trans to the exhaust.

Also, you crank case vent hose shouldn't be out there. Basically anything that could possibly leak out fluid should be kept away from all exhaust components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m thinking I did over fill it, my exhaust is about 6inches away from the trans. My crank case vent is on the exhaust side it runs up by the exhaust manifold over the top to a T that connects to the valve cover from that T goes over the top to a catch can than goes to the turbo inlet. I’m gunna get some heat wrap from my manifold to help with heat and also on the hose to prevent too much burning. Thanks for the reply I do appreciate it man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts