Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving up the road and engaged the clutch to put the car into 4th and when i let off and stepped on the gas the rpms went up but the car barely moved. I dropped into neutral and rolled to a light and waited. When it turned green i put into first and the rpms went way up and the car shook and barely moved so i pulled over. I shifted into first and let off the clutch and it didn't stall, doesn't stall when i put into other gears and let off the clutch either.

Someone know what my problem could be?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i'm hearing from people that it could be my shift linkage
anyone have an idea as to how to fix it? step by step or w/e?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It is your clutch... Or the throwout bearing is stuck...

Shift linkage? You don't have one! :confused:

The shifter drops into the top of the transmission.. Your hand on 1 end of the shifter, forks on the other end...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea the kid who told me about the "linkage" got a stern talking to today.
I'm thinking a broke the shift fork

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
is your clutch pedal working like it is supposed to?

I have NEVER.. in 12 years of being in the 240SX world, heard of anyone breaking a fork... never, never, never, ever...

Pull your shifter out of the transmission and see it the little nylon cap is still on the end of it...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm gonna disassemble the center console and take the shifter out this weekend
and yes the clutch does work properly

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
You don't need to take out the console. Just pop off the trim piece that goes up around the CD player and HVAC controls. Then, just remove the snap ring, and you're golden.

$50 says the kid who said it's the "shift linkage" drives a Honda. :smacked49

I'd agree with Bow, though. Unless it's a straight up faulty part, I don't see how a shift fork could break. It's pretty stout, and it's not going to get jammed up and break unless something else is way wrong. How good is your clutch? If the disc is totally wasted, then it would do that, but the sudden loss of clutch grab makes it seem like that's not the case. Has the clutch been slipping a lot lately at all?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't need to take out the console. Just pop off the trim piece that goes up around the CD player and HVAC controls. Then, just remove the snap ring, and you're golden.

$50 says the kid who said it's the "shift linkage" drives a Honda. :smacked49
my other car is a Honda =/

anyway, the clutch wasn't slipping at at really before this problem
I'm really clueless as to what to do next, as stated I've been driving my Honda for quite awhile and bought my 240 in the beginning of march from a kid who thought the head gasket was blown but just needed to look at the non spinning fan.

What should i do to resolve my problem?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
pull the shifter out yet?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
is your clutch pedal working like it is supposed to?

I have NEVER.. in 12 years of being in the 240SX world, heard of anyone breaking a fork... never, never, never, ever...

Pull your shifter out of the transmission and see it the little nylon cap is still on the end of it...
have you heard of anybody Literally kicking their clutch pedal OFF? My buddy got so pissed at his clutch he kicked the pedal off and out of his car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts