Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i went to get my car inspected for the first time since i just bought the car. its a 96 240 with the black top S14 sr20det motor. The lady doing the inspection told me that the little connecting port thing under the steering column was not working and it gave her a message to try the test a different way, but she couldnt figure out how to do it the other way. Hopefully that makes sense. Anyway, does anybody know if this is probably just a faulty connector, or maybe it wasnt hooked up when the swap was done, or maybe it just cant be installed on the sr20 motor. I really have no knowledge at all on this one, so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Brandon

·
Registered
54 Posts
the SR will pass a rolling/sniffer test. The problem lies in 96+ cars. You have an OBDII car, which means any car made in 96 and up have stricter emission requirements. You need to take your car that will let you do the roller test on your car. I'm not sure of your states laws, but in Illinois, OBDII cars with swaps have a hard time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im in tx...and sorry but i dont know the difference in roller tests and other tests that they do. im pretty educated in certain aspects of cars, but not when it comes to emissions/inspection stuff lol...

·
Registered
745 Posts
north carolina doesnt have smog tests on cars older than 96 starting this month =)

·
Registered
197 Posts
i_Go_SpLaT said:
MINE DID! once. no way in hell it will now, but it DID!

catalytic converters + charcoal canisters are your friend
This was in CA correct? AZ shouldn't be too bad to pass I hope. I have the tag from when the previous owner had it pass stock, but there's no telling what exhaust and increased boost will do to my emissions. Have you heard of the sr's not passing the roller here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so does anybody know what might be causing the connector for the OBD thing to not be working?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its the S14 Blacktop motor. I dont know the exact year of the motor. just thats its the s14 blacktop...

·
Registered
202 Posts
most wiring info does not cover hooking up the consult port or the OBDII ports. NO JDM cars have OBDII but you could make the port work, but not all the systems are there in the computer, it depends on what there looking for. You may have a big problem....CA and other state that require all Federal standard to be met are a problem.....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
your engine is not OBDII, theirfor your 'screwed'.
The port will NOT hook up. There comps wont be able connect you up and you will fail.

Btw, in CA there is a visual inspection test. SR's are illegal in CA and will NOT pass visual.

FAIL FAIL FAIL!

Yup...sucks getting your car registered here.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
makes me wonder why everyone sack rides the sr20... lol.
i think your best bet is to get a place to get it on the dyno.

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
Mack has already stated that some of the pin-outs will work but they are not all there. Of course if you are asking this question I am going to assume that you don't know what pin-outs are and you certainly don't know who Mack is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts