Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, after many years of waiting due to college expenses my car should be ready to go in about 3 weeks. I have an Sr20det blacktop with completely built and am waiting on either a GT35R or a GT3076 depending on who I buy the turbo from (2 people selling just waiting on response).

So through some research I have seen many people using ECU reflashes or Rom Tunes (JWT, Enthalpy..) able to make good power and 10 second passes in the quarter mile. I have built my car around those guys premises and list of parts and feel that my car should be to run similar to theirs. My question comes into play as far as ECU tunes vs a Standalone.

Since I have seen guys running well with ECU reflashes and Rom Tunes, is it really worth going all out and buying a standalone (AEM EMS) and then having to pay for the standalone to be tuned properly? Ideally, I am well aware that a standalone is the way to go if you want full control of the engine but would it be recommended to go with an Enthalpy Tune or a daughter board such as the Nistune which I am very intrigued by. I am not trying to be cheap and opting out of the standalones but I dont want to spend the money ($2k +) going that route if the results can be made properly and reliably using a good tune.

Also, I know this had been asked again and again, but whom would you recommend tune the ecu if it is reflashed or daughter board (I think thats improper use of words haha)? I am located in the NY and would not mind driving out a little bit for a good tune and a reputable tuner. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long thread ( I am a complete NOOB at ECU managment and anything of that nature):1bowdown:1bowdown:1bowdown

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well, I personally thing the stock ECU is actually better than any of the Standalones in terms of actual programibility; you can pretty much do anything with the stock ECU that you can with a standalone, and the stock ecu retains a few nice things like real sequential ignition (most aftermarkets do batch/wasted spark).

I do my own rom tuning, so I really can't recommend anyone, but JWT, Enthalpy, etc do have good repuations. I personally like Calum's & the Nistune's realtime systems if you want something easy to tune; ie you can tune in real time as you drive/it will be easier for a dyno shop to tune as it is more like a standalone.

Stay away from SAFC whatever you do though :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info bro. I ended up buying a power FC for super cheap and I couldnt pass the opportunity. I am going to end up getting rid of the SAFC soon so if you know anyone interested, let me know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts