Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I don't know how this gonna turn out......but, I'm getting an s14 sr20 and instead of doing a front mount, i'll do a vmount inthercoller. I figure I'll do something not many people are doing. Plus It be cool to have a sleeper looking car. No one will know i have an sr unless they hear the blowoff valve. But here some question i need answered.

What will have to be upgraded to do this fabrication?..
Is there any risk do to heat etc?..... Or any risk at all.
How much power can I make (potenial wise) using a smaller intercooler due to the amount of space that is available?..

give me some info about how im suppose to do this fabrication. I have someone who can do it, but I figure i learn a thing or 2. I know signal auto has an s14 with a vmount intercooler. Some of the question might be dumb but hey, im not a mechanic. thanks

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
ok, you'll need

1. a intercooler, yes they do make them in like (core size) 18x12x3, the same size i bought to do one on mine,

but i decided agaisnt it.

because

2. you'll need a aftermarket short (in height) radiator, and a way to have a secondary cooling fluid tank because you cant drop the top of the radiator lower than the head ... its actually kidna hard to do,... then you need to fabricate a tray for the radiator to rest on. as well as install a set of pull fans on the back of the radiator, and on top of the intercooler (for max efficency) so that the air divers up through the intercooler as well as down through the RAd....

you'll also need ot devise bracketry for the intercooler and notch out your rad support to fit the intercooler....

i donno man, i was all about doing it too, until i realized that there were more physics involved than i had money to spend....

so i called around places and saw that jurjan motorsports had a s13 with one, icalled the guy, eh explai na shitload of stuff to me... and said it would be roughly 2500 for parts and labor if he did it the right way.......

and since you're no mechanic, i'd suggest the good ole fornt mount ,but if your pockets are deep, vmount pwns

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually I have a shop(TopHatPerformance) here in GA who priced me $1500. Using a custom griffen intercooler. Not bad for the price. Top hat has a good reputation when it comes to 240sx. But daymn it does sound like alot of work. I would like to see pictures of it being done. get an idea on how much work it is.

Also do they have to trim the coresupport to fit it?... just a thought. my pockets aint deep, but hey, can't stop a guy from busting a nut thinking about his sexy slivia.

·
Registered
281 Posts
there is a local guy who's done it.. it pretty sick looking. He said it too alot to get it to fit, had to notch into the core support. I'll try to get photos of it so you can see

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It doesnt need to be cut or anything like that, just some innovative thinking. I did this setup out of my garage in a few days tiem if wasnt doing a new engine and rewiring at the same time. But in teh end some creativity with the brackets and modifications can yeild something completely functional in the end. The only thing i didnt do was the welding, i had a professional welder do all that, just to leave out the possibilty of a coolant leak or air leak.

V-mount before ducting is installed (ducting is crucial for a successful v-mount)

Coolant resivoir

·
Registered
164 Posts
Timmy You BASTARD WHERE ARE MY PARTS? LOL... CALL ME MAN.. I NEED IT IM SELLING THE S14... MIGHT BE GETTING A JDM ONE... CALL ME...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sr20goofus said:
It doesnt need to be cut or anything like that, just some innovative thinking. I did this setup out of my garage in a few days tiem if wasnt doing a new engine and rewiring at the same time. But in teh end some creativity with the brackets and modifications can yeild something completely functional in the end. The only thing i didnt do was the welding, i had a professional welder do all that, just to leave out the possibilty of a coolant leak or air leak.

V-mount before ducting is installed (ducting is crucial for a successful v-mount)

Coolant resivoir
so its completely done?.. how does it run?...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
the engein runs great, same boost and fuel settings as before (still needs mild tune), but its deff teh fastest ive ever felt it at 14-15psi. I cant tell ya how beneficial the setup is until after the VIR HPDE in 3 weeks, thats wehere ill be able to notice actual coolant temp differences or overall engine bay temp differences after i come off track and what not.

Maintenance i dont know yet either, i can ttell ya after the event if anyof the welds break or anything like that, i wont know until after i really really abuse the car, which will deff happen once i get my R-comps mounted up to pull some meuch better corner speeds. Thats where the real design i have used will have to hold up.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
S15driftkind needs to send me a PM about those eagle rods since his Inbox is full

·
Registered
60 Posts
Signal's V35 Skyline w/ SR & V-mount:

http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1720

Make sure to check out the photo gallery...definitely some good ideas for how to do your V-mount.

And xxnimbusxx, Top Hat has done quite a bit of work for me. They'll treat you right and make sure that you're 100% satisfied with the results. Plus, Griffin makes quality rads and ICs...can't go wrong with Griffin, plus their prices are fair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the reason for a v-mounted intercooler is if your not getting efficent air across your intercooler and radiator. as for instance drifting, the car is never strait. Its always side ways so they v-mount the intercooler and radiatior so it creates a vacuum effect and sucks all the air around it to go through it. When you. v-mount a intercooler and radiator you create a vacuum effect like in a carborator. it draws all air in and out so the cooling should be about the same if not better! there is no need for extra fans but if wanted it would help. look at the rx-7 where v-mounting is common due to the poor cooling in the rotory engines. it uses jus 2 electric fans only on the radiator. porshe, Mr2, ferrari all uses the radiator v-mounted in the front to allow maximum cooling affect due to the vacuum flowing through the air dam! With added tunnels for the air to flow through would help also. it routes the air so you get the air drawn through both intercooler and radiator. Hope this helpped you understand why we v-mount the intercoolers.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
1: 4.5+ year old thread
2: How many 240's do you know running both Carbs and a V-mount?
3: Essentially any boosted car you can think of has had someone do a V-Mount, not just MR2's and Ferrari's and RX-7's
4: IBTL

·
Registered
31 Posts
1: 4.5+ year old thread
2: How many 240's do you know running both Carbs and a V-mount?
3: Essentially any boosted car you can think of has had someone do a V-Mount, not just MR2's and Ferrari's and RX-7's
4: IBTL

1. Sorry I didnt notice the dates until after I replyed to the post. I saw the post on google.
2. None that I know of. No point of running carbs while turbo chargine! Wont get the maximum power due to the ventury effect. Im Sayin for example V-mounting has the affect of air being vecuumed through.
3. I know Im saying these come with radiators mounted in a v form with a shrout for the air vacuum effect.
4. HUH (IBTL) Not sure what that means.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts