Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just purchased a Turbonetics T3/TOBE Hybrid it's a .48 A/R Ballbearing turbo w/ stage 3 wheel. It is not internally wastegated to my knowledge. I am buying an aftermarket top mount turbo manifold but was wondering do I need to put a wastegate on the manifole or can I just block it off and be safe with just the turbo???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,104 Posts
ok this deserves a HUGE WTF?!
you shouldnt be even thinking about a turbo car if you dont know what a wastegate does.
for the umpteemth time put the motor in STOCK and learn as you go, dont mod the motor at all.....
if you want to have any form of boost control you need a wastegate, that is unless you like having unlimited boost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
murphy660 said:
haha wow and he has a rb in and dont no what a wastegate is/does??? damn rich kids need some knowledge
1. I'm not rich but I prolly make more than you!
2. I'm not a kid but a Deputy Sheriff
3. I do need knowledge so thats why I asked
4. You weren't born an RB expert you had to learn as you went...

Thanks for the info that's all I needed not critcism.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm sure you have heard the saying about assumptions. Sorry But I just needed to know if it was a nessecity to run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
hope you did go to howstuffworks.. however.. in short, a wastegate controlls boost by dumping some exhaust (pre-turbo) either around the turbo, or to the atmoshphere. this keeps the exhaust flow constant.. keeping you at a certain psi of boost. without a wastegate you WILL
A. blow your turbo
B. blow your motor
C. crack your manifold
D. all of the above
E. all of the above + get ridiculed by friends and family that dont even know what an rb20det is...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
As others have said you might want to read up not just about the RB engines but how engines and specifically turbo systems work before going in depth with any major mods (unless a shop is doing it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
all turbos have a wastegate some are internal meaning made in the turbo and some are external meaning its on the exhaust manifold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Chaos The Xile said:
1. I'm not rich but I prolly make more than you!
2. I'm not a kid but a Deputy Sheriff
3. I do need knowledge so thats why I asked
4. You weren't born an RB expert you had to learn as you went...

Thanks for the info that's all I needed not critcism.
1. Good, take all that money and invest in the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell...read it cover-to-cover.

2. So, you understand the law...boost has laws just like anything else. break them and the penalties will suck.

3. Normally, I'd say "thats what the search button is for", but in the case of a potential RB owner, if you're clueless to the use of a wastegate...the search button can't help you.

4. I wasn't, but I did have a basic knowledge of turbos before I undertook a project like this...from that, I searched, a lot...

since you like sayings, I know you've heard: "You learn more with your mouth shut and your ears open."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
turbose said:
1. Good, take all that money and invest in the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell...read it cover-to-cover.

2. So, you understand the law...boost has laws just like anything else. break them and the penalties will suck.

3. Normally, I'd say "thats what the search button is for", but in the case of a potential RB owner, if you're clueless to the use of a wastegate...the search button can't help you.

4. I wasn't, but I did have a basic knowledge of turbos before I undertook a project like this...from that, I searched, a lot...

since you like sayings, I know you've heard: "You learn more with your mouth shut and your ears open."
True I have heard that saying but if nobody is talking than what Am I listening to? Also I ask questions about things that I can only find close ended answers to. This forums is a search button for me but the answers come more quickly and they are more effecient than the BS that Google can lead you to sometime! I'm not trying to start any problems and I really didn't need that little 2 cents that you added... Like I said before we were al noobs at one point and time at something, and we all had to learn a little more about it before we wasted time and energy on it making us look stupid, thats what I'm trying to avoid. :happyfing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Chaos The Xile said:
True I have heard that saying but if nobody is talking than what Am I listening to? Also I ask questions about things that I can only find close ended answers to. This forums is a search button for me but the answers come more quickly and they are more effecient than the BS that Google can lead you to sometime! I'm not trying to start any problems and I really didn't need that little 2 cents that you added... Like I said before we were al noobs at one point and time at something, and we all had to learn a little more about it before we wasted time and energy on it making us look stupid, thats what I'm trying to avoid. :happyfing

When no one is talking, there are two possible reasons: A. No one has ever thought about the topic. B. It's already been discussed at length, and the topic has a decided answer. Since there is already a wastegate flange on your manifold, and there is no wastegate on your turbo...the topic is closed, yes, you need one.

This forum is not a "search button", this forum is for discusion. When a question has a definitive answer, there is no more need to discuss it. That's when you search...whether it's here, Google, or (God-forbid) a bookstore.

Search Google for "what does a wastegate do?" The first Google link is a "non-BS" answer on the need for a wastegate. Here, I'll help you http://www.google.com/search?hs=pR3...ial_s&q=What+does+a+wastegate+do?&btnG=Search

If learning about the basics of boost is a waste of time, or you're just too busy...maybe the Honda/Acura camp has something more suited to your needs.

About the two cents, the little middle-finger smilie is about five cents...while you give me the finger, I'll stand to the side and laugh as your engine explodes under unlimited boost because you didn't take the time to read.

I'm not usually the type to be a dick, but, there is a reason I have such a low-post count. I spend the majority of my time reading. I hate to bust someones balls, but when it's obvious that they were too lazy to look on their own...it pisses me off because it gives all noobs a bad rep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah but all noob have to start somewhere and forums are usually the answer to they're prayers sorry I took offense but I just needed really to know did I need one and why... thats all. Thansk for the info and words of wisdom.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top