Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k on my 92 240sx kade, k this is weird and i cant describe the smell quite but i have no leaks not burning oil. etc. but when im pushing my car like 6000k rev 100 miles. in 4th or 5th gear passenger window down a bit i get a wierd burning smell from outside from the car and its like a rubber/oil/brakes/clutch smell and hard to tell what. i pull over and check and i have no smell coming from either under the hood nor under the car. what could this be or coming from????? my clutch isnt slipping. i was thinking maybe tranny fluid overheating????? all fluid levels are good

any ideas???

·
Registered
41 Posts
i think my mom is getting the same smell in her mazda 6 but its auto when you smell it go to the exhaust and see if thats where its coming from thats where its coming on momz car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah i never checked the exhaust yet. but some say it might be the cat plugged or something. and another thinks the clutch is slipping slightly but looking at my tach i see its not. but he says yeah its just hydraulic and it self adjusts thats why u dont notice. doesnt make sense to me but so far what i think is eithertranny fluid low or burning/overheating or something or the cat exhaust system needs changing

any other ideas??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you changed anything lately on you car?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Haha. Wow its never a good idea just to stick your nose right next to a tailpipe and inhale. Make sure you're at least 5 feet away when you smell that.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Plasma discharge from high sped runs...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i have changed all fluids. thanks for the remarks sarcasm. seriously ideas that are legit would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
I don't understand your first post. You held the motor at 6000rpms for 100miles?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Use 5th, that is what its for...

Seriously, since the internet has yet to perfect smell-o-vision, it is tough to give advice on your problem.

It could be a Honda you ran over that some parts are stuck to the exhaust..

it could be something as easy as a brake pad dragging a little, or the clutch slipping...

It could be just a hot engine with 17 years of oil/dust/crap build up on it...

Your description: a rubber/oil/brakes/clutch smell isn't very helpful, brakes and clutch as a similar aroma, but oil and rubber are way different, and neither smell like Brakes/clutch...

I'd say maybe you shouldn't beat on your car like that, until you figure it out ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
again it was just an example of speeding up. but with the smell its like its all mixed in one. maybe a sulfur/egg smell lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a similar smell on my KAe s13 but i smell it regardless of when the windows are down... and not at particularly high revs... smells more like electrical wire burning... at first i thought it was my amp, havent turned on the radio in a while cause i've been trying to locate all my rattles... haven't noticed the odor in a while... possible solution, check wiring going to any and all audio components

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a nasty burnt oil smell in my '90 KAE that was def more noticeable with the window open. Turned out is was an old cracked shifter boot(very common on these old s13s) that was allowing the tranny to vent into the car. Soon as the oil got HOT(like when you're revvin 6k) it really started to smell. Changed it out for a new one from Nissan and the smell is gone. Hope this helps as it's a cheap fix.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Whoa old post bump...

But this is true...

it COULD be gear oil from the transmission

·
Registered
126 Posts
You said rotten egg, if its rotten egg smell than its probably your CAT.

·
Registered
514 Posts
if you havent found it yet take the center counsil off take off the rubber shift boot, inspect actual shifter boot on trans, its probably popped off or split open if not take a good whiff right there and see if that is the smell that you smell let us know from there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts