Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a weird no start issue with my s1 rb25det. i confirmed fuel, spark, new cas, battery is good. when i crank it over it cranks and after a few cranks when normally it would fire up, instead my dash lights go dim and theres this weird winding noise. i kept trying and thought i flooded my engine, so i pulled out the plugs, some fuel but not flooded. i blew air into the cyl and cleaned off the plugs just in case. same thing happens. it was literally just starting before, all i did was adjust the CAS on the last fire up to correct the timing. its almost like the battery is bad, but its not holds 12v even after attempting to crank a half dozen times. im pretty stumped... the winding noise is something i never heard or seen before. opinions would be greatly appriciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
wierd no start

if you removed your CAS, chances are the cam turned. I had the same issue. What i did was to take it back out, put it in about halfway and turn it slightly to the left the i put it in all the way. after i tried starting and Voila! hope you understood as im not very good giving directions.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it did but i was extra careful and made sure it went on correctly. thats the reason i adjusted it at first. this thread will show a little bit of background on my CAS situation.

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/rb-engines/115077-help-diag-car-dying-no-start.html

after i replaced the CAS, i realized that the key/guide to put the CAS properly broke off so i have to eyeball and get it on without it. i installed it and the timing/idle and other things were weird although it would run led me to believe i had it on close but not perfect and thats why I readjusted it. i know it HAS to be on perfect now though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
when that occured to me, i also put it in all the way, at least it seemed so. the car would turn, but it would not start. after i removed it and did what i mentioned it started right up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i played with the injector settings in FC-edit (im pretty sure they are right now), fully charged the battery, made sure the cylinders werent flooded and re-aligned the CAS and still the same results. getting really irritating.

so i decide to try to check the CAS per FSM but im a little confused. im going by this:

im trying to follow it but its a little confusing to me. i can hear the injectors going off when i spin the shaft... when i check the voltage to #2 i get battery voltage, 3 and 4 depending on the position of the shaft its 5v or lower. nothing at 1.

is my CAS ok?

im just so fustrated with my car, it was literally just running and now it wont even start. man i might even be willing to paypal a reward for anyone who leads me in the right direction...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know its not much but $40 pay pal to who ever can lead me into the right direction to figure this out...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
worked on the car last night, basically started over as if i never checked anything. also put the battery on a battery charger prior to all this to eliminate that and make sure it was fully charged.

checked fuel pressure, and injectors. tried with lowering and also raising fuel pressure
confirmed spark
double checked coil and battery grounds, also added an extra ground from the intake manifold to the chasiss
double checked and re-tightend all intake manifold bolts and hoses and anything that can cause a vacuum leak
double checked all i/c piping and couplers
tried with my power fc datalogit base map, my orginal tuned map from last year, and a new map for this year compensating for my new injectors
tried re-aligning the CAS several times
tried with maf/afm plugged in and unplugged
checked and re-gapped (0.8mm) spark plugs
some flooding after trying all those things so i pulled all the plugs and left them off over night. have a new set of plugs (NGK V-Power BKR5E-11) ready to go in today after work, also going to spray some air into the cylinders to make sure theres no flooding.

and basically thats where im at...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well while working on the car i actually noticed a small tear in my timing belt. immidiately i put the crank to TDC and the cams are both 4teeth off!! wtf. some debris must have gotten into the cover i or i might have grazed it or something accidently to weaken in. any how, i replaced the timing belt and double checked the comrpression. im sitting at about 155-160 on all cylinders, which is a good sign... i thought i might have bent the valves. but i still cant figure out why the damn thing wont start.

can some one post up some good pics of the exhaust camshaft where the CAS goes and also a pic of the inside of their CAS? the key on my camshaft broke off and i need to be 100% sure on how to put it on... im suspecting something with the CAS because it was the only thing i actually touched before i got this no start condition...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well.. after much headache and dead ends i gave up. car is currently being towed down to my tuner for him to figure this out. i trust him a lot.. hes a nissan master tech and also did a lot of work for a guy here who ran low 9s in his rb26 240z. hopefully i can make it to the first track day... May 9.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i swung by his shop after work to give him some background on what was going on. he only had about 45 min or so to look at it and will continue today. so far nothing but i was puzzled on watching flames come out of my cylinders with the injectors unpluged and the spark plugs and coils out. wtf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts