Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what do ya'll use as oil for these high mileage 240sx's? Today i just got the oil changed with Pennzoil's 5w30.... My friend started to tell me it was cheap oil and that it wouldnt last aslong as other quality oil and started panicing... because i only wanted the best for my new love... Any opinion on this appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
skifux21 said:
I was just wondering what do ya'll use as oil for these high mileage 240sx's? Today i just got the oil changed with Pennzoil's 5w30.... My friend started to tell me it was cheap oil and that it wouldnt last aslong as other quality oil and started panicing... because i only wanted the best for my new love... Any opinion on this appreciated.
penz is not a cheap oil...SUPERTECH from wall mart on the other hand that is a cheap oil . Penz is ok just ok. Its inexpensive because its very common but not cheap in terms of quality. Use thicker oil if engine burns it, but if not i'd put 5 30 . Prefer Castrol or Mobil, but realy it doesn't make any difference as long as you change it early or on time. used 5 30 in my old 130k engine with no oil pressure or burning issues. Redlined it every day and then when i pulled it out at 140 bearings and rings still looked awesome! KA's the shit!:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I use Mobil1 5W-30 and cheapo Fram filters in my stocker KA, 115k miles on the clock. I religiously change every 3000 miles and check compulsively, I get no burning or leakage, 4 quarts go in, 4 quarts come out (more or less, you get the point).

^Synthetic is not thinner than regular oil. SAE numbers set a standard for viscosity - 5W-30 is a specific viscosity no matter what make or type of oil it is. If the synthetic is thinning out more at operating temperatures, somebody needs to get on the horn with SAE and get the cert. revoked.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Any decent 5w-30 is good. I use regular Quaker State on my old Maxima. If you are burning oil throw in a can of Bardahl oil treatment....that stuff works wonders.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
look into Repsol lol

and synthetic isnt always the best choice to run on older motors because of the effect it has on the rings. If the car has had synthetic all its life then thats fine , but if its had regular wal mart oil changes til now then your gonna wear out the rings. I look into that theory tomorrow when i have more energy.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I don't know what was in mine when I bought it, but I've been on Mob1 for the 85k I've had it and no problems so far. I haven't done a compression check, but it doesn't feel like it's lost anything more than would be expected from normal wear. It's sort of a moot point for me anyway...alost at 120k, getting close to rebuild time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts