Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a few coilover options like tein flexes and KTS coilovers. I need coilovers that are cheap and are comfortable and sporty when you need them to be since the car is going to be my daily. I also need them to be fairly reasonable when it comes to the price. If you have recommendations please tell me!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coilovers on a daily are kind of too stiff in my opinion.
Unless you live in an area that has immaculate roads, you want something pliable.

A good set of springs on KYB AGX struts will give you a firmer than stock ride and won't make your butt hurt.
our roads here are horrible so springs might be better also i dont have much experience with springs so how is the adjustability, handling

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also on coilovers you can adjust the stiffness to where they are not too stiff so I dont see why I cant get coilovers

·
Administrator
5,179 Posts
also on coilovers you can adjust the stiffness to where they are not too stiff so I dont see why I cant get coilovers
You can adjust dampening and possibly pre-load, depending on the type of coilover you get. I can't imagine a cheap coilover would have adjustable dampening or a separate pre-load adjustment. That's where you'll have to look at spending the money, if you want to soften the ride.

·
Administrator
2,119 Posts
Adjustability I'm not too sure about what you mean.
Coilovers aren't too different compared to a strut & spring combo.

So I did post on someone else's thread about this but I can't find it easily.
I'll give you a quick summary.

Factory is a Macpherson strut assembly. It has a Shock Damper AKA Strut. Installed on the strut is your spring. You have a lower mount built into the strut and an upper mount that bolts to the top of the strut so you can mount it to your car.

Strut & spring ( KYB AGX with some springs )

Visually looks almost identical to the factory suspension because it basically is the same thing. Your springs will look different and your strut will look different because they will be different colors instead of the factory black.
Ride height -Fixed dimension. Springs will usually lower your ride height compared to stock, can be stock height or go down to like a 2 inch drop. You won't be able to adjust it though. This is fully dependant on what springs you buy.
Spring rate - Factory is soft. I don't remember the number, maybe 150 lb-in. Aftermarket will be a higher number so it means it will be stiffer.
Strut -Aftermarket ones come with the same stroke length as oem and can come with different stroke lengths. Sometimes they just have one setting built into them, the KYB AGX has different settings you can adjust for Damping ratios.

Coilovers
Visually look more appealing. You get some fancy colors and some more features. Coilover suspension usually has way stiffer spring rates compared to oem and aftermarket springs.
Upfront spring rates are usually 8 kg/mm (AKA 450 lb/in) and rears are 6kg/mm ( 335 lb/ in).
Usually you get a pillowball mount up top. You get camber adjustment. You also get height adjustment.

Ride height - You can change this. It's pretty drastic too, You start off like 1" lower than oem and can drop down to like 3-4" below factory height.
Spring rate - Fixed. A spring is a spring so that doesn't change. You do get more options though, you can rebuild your coilovers to get stiffer springs. Not sure how soft they can go.
Strut - You will see that the lower portion is threaded soyou can adjust your ride height there. Your lower mounts are screwed onto it so that's how you change height.
Stroke length is usually way lower to account for the stiffer springs. You also get damping adjustment too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts