Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a cold start, whenever i crank my turboed 95 up it smokes pretty damn bad for about 10-15 mns....then stops. it doesnt smoke any more...not at red lights or anything. also if i let it sit for more than about an hour and then start it up it smokes a little too for about 5 mns then thats it, not near as bad as the first start of the day. im thinkin its a leaky valve dropping oil down into a cylinder then when i crank it up its burnin it all out, hence the smoking. and that would also explain why the longer i let it sit after driving it the worse the smoking is the first few minutes after crank-up.

thought i would get some of your guys opinion before i started looking at either rebuilding this head or buying a rebuilt head then just swappin em out. but does this sound like a leaky valve to you guys also?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
There isn't much oil left in the head once the engine is off.

Sounds like piston rings.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
i was thinkin maybe the valve seals. Me friend had a truck that did the same thing and thats what it turned out to be. Wouldn't piston rings smoke the whole time its running?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i do believe that is your valve seals friend. the oil gets into the cylinder chamber and sits till you start your car and combusts and burns out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinkin maybe the valve seals. Me friend had a truck that did the same thing and thats what it turned out to be. Wouldn't piston rings smoke the whole time its running?
thats what i was thinking also. if it was the piston rings it would smoke at red lights, under acceleration, etc. but it doesnt...just after a cold start for a bit

·
Registered
315 Posts
It would help to know what color the smoke is. If its black you could have a leaking injector. The fuel rail will still be pushing pressure to the injectors when the car is turned off. If its gray/blue it is oil. If it's white you may have a little coolant leaking into the engine. Although I believe a leaky injector would constatly cause the car to smoke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts