Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah so umm, what wheels are the people who have a bit of power running? Tire size? I was thinking of going with and 17x9 but no idea what tire size. Don't know what kind of power i will be putting down but im thinking atleast 350. Any help would be cool.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The max I have ever seen is a 11x18 rim in back and a 9.5x18 in front. You are going to need the correct offset of no go. but with that wide of wheel you better be set to do some fender rolling. a 17x9 and a 17x 10 would be more resonable. Buy some toyo t1s's or better and you should have great traction. I custom orderd a set of volk gtp's in 18x11 and 18x9.5 for the front. I should have them in 8 months as volks a year wait for custom orders. Cant wait they will look pimp on my s14.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
lsd's help more than gaudy wheels.
get a proper lsd then size up wheels.

·
Registered
273 Posts
its more based upon tire size then rim size, there is no point in spending the extra money to get a 17*10 or 17*10.5 rim when u have to stretch a 235 tire to make it fit in the fender with camber (cuz then ur contract patch sux anyways defeated the purpose). Im running a 17*9.5 with a 255/40 (10 or 15 mmm spacer) and could probally put a 265/35 on there and with a new RUCA ur tire will sit nice and flat against the road. then like he ^^ said its about the rubber u wont see traction regardless of ur wheel setup without good rubber.

·
Registered
340 Posts
what kind of power are you actually putting down or plan to have? What is the purpose of the car? For a drifting or auto-x cross why would you want 350's! Thats expensive! For drag, get slicks instead of something like that.

I agree, get a proper 2-way LSD, camber plates and coilovers before giant tires. For street use, a 250 is wide, wicked looking in the back and has plenty of tire width for traction. Plus they are hella cheaper then 350's.

·
Registered
273 Posts
little240boy said:
what kind of power are you actually putting down or plan to have? What is the purpose of the car? For a drifting or auto-x cross why would you want 350's! Thats expensive! For drag, get slicks instead of something like that.

I agree, get a proper 2-way LSD, camber plates and coilovers before giant tires. For street use, a 250 is wide, wicked looking in the back and has plenty of tire width for traction. Plus they are hella cheaper then 350's.
LOL, he didnt mean he wanted 350 tires taht would never fit on a 240 he meant he will be having around 350hp. And unless ur using the car just for drift i would go with a 1.5way since its more streetable.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
lolz you know you want a 2 way.
ive got the ats deftforce 2 way in my rear end and while it sounds like i broke an axel at low speeds you cant but love the agressive lock up it offers......
1.5 is certianly more streetable and better for autox and track cars, while a 2 way is better for drifting and dragging.
however i use my car for a bit of everything and so far i havent had any problems.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You can be very conservative with wheel sizes. I've experienced and have seen plently of tests of wheel withs vs. tire compounds. Just get good rubber. I'm running Advan A032R soft compound tires for street & track use. I suggest RA1's. Will handle all the power you can throw at it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
hahaha thank god I just read it wrong. 350's on a 240's? That would be super bad ass, despite it requiring hours to make it fit. Kaaz 2-way is wicked but fairly loud!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LSD is already in the plans its down to a choice between a cusco 1.5way mz, or ats 1.5. The car is going to be setup for drifting, the mods are:
Garret gt32, nismo 740cc injectors, z32 MAF, apexi pfc, apexi avcr, 24x12x3 intercooler bar and plate with 2.5inch piping, arp head studs, mckinney dp, heavythrottle test pipe, apexi evo n1 exhaust, tein superdrifts w/edfc, and depending on how soon my buddy gets his mandrel bender a weld in custom 6 point cage. All of this isn't in yet, My original 240 i put the rb25 in had bad rot all over the place and since i wanted to pursue drifting i didn't think it was the safest shell i could have. So all of this is going ion my new shell as we speak. The main things is i don't know much about suspension setups wheel and tire setups for different things etc. I just am looking to have the best wheel tire combo for drifting and if i want to mess around on the street a little. TYhanx for all the input so far. As of now im leaning towards the falken hanabi wheels in 17x8 in the front and 17x9 in the rear with a 255 40 in the read and 235 40 in the front. My budget for wheels and tires is about 1500 so this seems very reasonable. Suggestions? opinions?

·
Registered
340 Posts
with the power, diff and coilovers you'll be fine for making a good platform drift car. Sounds like your being safe too! As for 1500 for wheels and tires, it could be hard. Is your car 4 or 5 lug? They don't make too many wheels that are cheap that are 17x8 or 17x9 especially in a 4 lug design. Tires, who cares, your burnin' em up, don't spend much!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts