Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a zenki with only the fuel gauge white and the rest black...

i was wondering how the fuck he did that, since i always thought you can do no such thing as the cluster comes all in one piece.

the guy told me that every gauge (SE, LE, and base) are black, and that the white ones were actually just overlays you could put ontop your gauge????

SINCE WHEN>??? and if its true, where can i find some for my kouki????? i always wanted white face gauges. without having to change out my odometer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but how can i have the gauges and keep my cluster? or rather, keep my same mileage and everything/keep from fucking up the calibration?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can't find reverse glow overlays for the kouki... only the zenki...

I found this: Nissan 200SX MPH KMH Speedo meter clocks. Dials white & coloured

but it doesn't make the "ricer" glow in different colors that one of u mentioned but i - however - actually like...

i wouldn't mind a nice "rice" overlay if i could find one in white face, and properly setup...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
or you could be really cool & get led 194 wedge bulbs for the instrument column... looks way better than the ricer overlays they sell. ntm much brighter & easier to see @ nite

pics?? those overlays are hard to beat...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whatever you find, make sure the speedo and rpm numbers are in identical locations. Some aren't.
They will be, i'm gettin a kouki gauge from london..

but in either case, i can't find a nice Uk / or USDM white face indiglo overlay... id rather have one of those, even if it were usdm spec...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i always wanted white face gauges. without having to change out my odometer.
I'm bringing up this old post because of this statement i made when i originally posted.

Instead of trying to look for aftermarket overlays OR doing entire cluster swaps, would i be able to - say - Buy a white face cluster, and part-out the faces only and take out my black ones and snap the white ones in??

that way i can keep my original tech and odometer. I've asked this question by accident in another thread but now i really want to try this if it's possible to remove individual faces without ruining anything.

ADD: Second question. Behind the MPH face are a bunch of lights right? would i be able to swap off the euro-spec mph face and overlay it? I understand Re-calibrating a JDM gauge cluster to read 180mph. but the euro one goes to 160 (actual mph) with the added benefit of having kp/h written underneath (if i ever cross borders with this car), same formula?

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
What is the END goal here besides a white gauge? Are you seriously just trying to get an SE cluster with your mileage on it? That's easy enough to make happen.

WHAT white-faced speedometer do you want? Give us a specific. Do you just want a 160 speedo? Black tach and white speedo? What.

If it's the 160 speedo you want, you'd need the entire cluster. The speedo on a JDM cluster is converted to MPH by converting the digital signal. Your signal would already be in MPH, but you'd need the needle to move at a different speed than the USDM cluster because there's more numbers crammed into the space, requiring less needle movement. It'd be a hellofa lot harder to convert that signal properly, and require a LOT of radar passes, assuming it was possible and could be figured out.

The EASIEST answer is to say take out your cluster, a 5 min job, pop off the clear cover held in with push-tabs, and look at how it's assembled. If you can pull a corner back, then in theory they're swappable. As long as you don't tug on the needles you can't hurt it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
the guy told me that every gauge (SE, LE, and base) are black, and that the white ones were actually just overlays you could put ontop your gauge????
The information I found after 10 seconds of google / reading leads me to believe that guy didn't know what he was talking about. At least as far as trim levels are concerned.

It seems there was a way to get black faced gauges w/ a 240. The white may be a factory overlay for all I know, I've never busted one apart. And while I'm somewhat unsure of this, I *THINK* that OBD2 clusters are swappable / have compatible plugs on the back. Again don't quote me on that because I'm unsure, I've had both 97se and a 95se clusters out of the car, but never had them both out at the same time to compare the plugs on the back.

So hit up car-part.com and find you a yard thats got a base model 240 sitting in it and ask for the cluster. I'd expect that a cluster from a junk yard won't be all that cheap per-se, so I'd just get the all black base model if thats what you want instead of getting a spare white faced one that may or may not work out for you.

So what are we talking about here?

Examples of OE clusters from google / zilvia. Found here: Gauge clusters - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

USDM Kouki SE

USDM Zenki SE

USDM Zenki Base

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ Actually to answer sleepy_steve, my car is a base model 97 and has a black faced cluster. I like the white one better (in the 1st pic, kouki -> kouki mates perfectly from any domestic market, U(K)DM, JDM, USDM from what i learned so far).

And yes, i see things a bit more clearly now that guy was full of BS. it was just a single overlay in the cluster.

and to answer BoostiniX;

the main goal has always been to get white face gauges while keeping my same Odometer if at all possible. A Secondary goal was to increase the speed value on the speedo IE: Euro 160mph cluster / JDM KPH > MPH conversion. IF i could solve the 1st problem.

First
course of action: find a white-faced overlay. I was unsuccessful in finding one for USDM kouki.

Second: The Euro-spec Kouki cluster. So far i came to the conclusion they are only available in black faces, however have a really nice (almost OEM looking) white face Non-glow overlay made by lockwood. if i could buy a euro set + the overlay, id satisfy most of my cosmetic goals. But id still need to figure out mileage. the ONLY thing stopping me from trying it out is the availability of this cluster even when searching the right terms (200sx, s14a etc.)

Third: lastly, i've been researching and thinking long and hard about putting the JDM cluster in. Again, it boils down to if i am able to swap my Mile-odometer back and fourth between clusters, since there is uncertainty wether or not the JDM cluster's odometer will even read miles or continue to read Kilos even with the MPH calibration. though i assume it would matter less if i could swap the reel from my own cluster into it.

To put it plainly, The Ideal setup goes as follows:

Kouki white face gauges (Temp, Tach, Speedo, Fuel)
+
Original odometer / odometer reading the same as mine
+
Upgraded Speedo (JDM to 180mph OR Euro 160mph & 260kph underneath)

As for tachometers, I know tachs vary by a 6.5 to 7k redline, though they are exactly identical otherwise, so i don't care about which one i use as long as the face is white. seeing as to how both Euro and JDM gauge clusters are SR20, i'll go for the 7k redline if it mates with a KA.

Thats another issue, I still have a KA but i want to assume it wouldn't make a difference/ you wouldn't need an SR to use these clusters. looking into it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
May be easier to just eat the mileage discrepencey when you swap clusters. Never tried but I know they're tamper proof for the most part. Too many issues with people taking them apart and rolling them back by hand before sale. Anyway, ditching your old odometer will free up your options on the upgrade.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have my mind set on the Euro-spec.

Now i just need to bloody find one!

Ebay UK is all dried up... damn people buying up clusters like piranhas.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
See. When we know the whole plan, we can actually help :)

First....I gotta ask. Why do you need a 160/180 speedometer? Your mod level won't go near those speeds, much less your aero, suspension, or brakes.

Easiest (in order of ease):
USDM K Cluster
JDM K Cluster + Dakota Digital + fairly simple/searchable conversion
USDM Z Cluster
JDM Z Cluster

I personally don't have info on the EDM clusters, so you're on your own.

IIRC, a company called Tacoma (you'll have to google, on the west coast I believe) can legally convert an odometer for you, if you're concerned about odometer.

As far as I've seen, you can't just swap one. (at least I've never seen it done without breaking, guessing you need specialty tools)

Just keep your eyes out for a Kouki cluster and snag it when it comes along. If you want, you can take it to a shop, tell them you're replacing your factory one, and they issue you a sticker showing mileage differences to put in your door jam.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See. When we know the whole plan, we can actually help :)

First....I gotta ask. Why do you need a 160/180 speedometer? Your mod level won't go near those speeds, much less your aero, suspension, or brakes.

Easiest (in order of ease):
USDM K Cluster
JDM K Cluster + Dakota Digital + fairly simple/searchable conversion
USDM Z Cluster
JDM Z Cluster

I personally don't have info on the EDM clusters, so you're on your own.

IIRC, a company called Tacoma (you'll have to google, on the west coast I believe) can legally convert an odometer for you, if you're concerned about odometer.

As far as I've seen, you can't just swap one. (at least I've never seen it done without breaking, guessing you need specialty tools)

Just keep your eyes out for a Kouki cluster and snag it when it comes along. If you want, you can take it to a shop, tell them you're replacing your factory one, and they issue you a sticker showing mileage differences to put in your door jam.
Why do i want a more capable speedo? the same reason why you'd want a turbo, or sideskirts, or a new paint job :p. just a fresh look and peace of mind. something that can be done to the car i guess.

Convert the odometer meaning tacoma can number-match or just turn Kilos into miles?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts