Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 240 has been running Superb since the rebuild.(full oem EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING)
factory ka24de.(s14 in a s13) s13 intake with the butterflys iacv iacr egr... anything above idle she runs great. pulls hard. no issues driving. the idle is set to 1k rpm via throttle cable adjustment.(no iacv) i am gonna be setting the set screw back and give the throttle cable a lil slack(to see if that helps any) tomorrow(hopefully remodeling my bathroom atm) before the rebuild(s) i could idle. just couldnt do anything past idle. when i first bought the car it idled a lil funny. now new everything... and im back to square one. nothing is dirty inside the motor/intake... all sensors are working like they should(ecu code 55). i could be driving and all is fine. hour later cant idle right(just dropes to like 400rpm and jumps to 1500 then goes back to 400...) i tap the gas and all is fine for a few seconds then 400rpm... the only thing that isnt new/changed is the throttle cable.(why im hopin the adjustment/slack is the problem) other then the cable everything runnin to the engine is new.
timing is set right.
fuel pump is good
fuel pressure is good
injectors are good
spark is good
(^new distrib ngk wires ngk plugs...)

any ideas?
i am out of ideas if the throttle cable dont work

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey whats up i had the same problem with my 91 ka like to the tee of what you were saying. I, like you replaced everything and still wouldnt idle. My problem ended up being my alternator. Hook up a multimeter to your batt and see if you have correct voltage. Mine was at like 11. i couldhave saved a boat load of money by just replacing it. But i read forums of people who thought they knew what they were talking about and was lead down the wrong path. now needless to say those parts probably needed replaced anyway, im just saying check voltage before you spend over 5 k in a ka like i did. let me know what works for you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tps is set to 4.5v fully closed(best idle sofar with it that way and its new)
alt is putting out solid 14v.(tested 2 days ago thought that was it)
fuel pressure is in the 30's when idle(cant remember the exact number but its accurate to what the fsm says.) and 43 when wot.
and when i mean everything is new.
new timing chain kit
new gasket kit
had pistons cleaned and miced(all good but the old ones only 90k on them)
rods were honed(old but miced and tested fine...again 90k)
new rod and crank bearings
crank was cleaned shaved n whatnot.(90k on it)
block tanked honed decked mic'd
oil squirters are new
new rings
everything in the head is new
valves springs cams...
the head was decked on the intake exh and the hg side. then hottanked.
only old part on the motor that wasnt touched is the oil pump and thats because at 5krpm its at 80ish psi.(90k on it)
all the wiring to alt starter n whatnot is 2g wire
regrounded with 2g wires.
wiremodded coil/fuel pump
walbro 255i
new injectors
all new fuel lines
new distrib setup(stated above and gonna be going msd when i turbo as soon as i get all the kinks worked out...)
intake was hottanked.
the blockoff plates are getting welded on soon(as soon as i feel like tryng to weld aluminum with these rods)
there is only 2 vacuum lines. pbb and fpr
the pcv is new. new hoses for it.
oil catch can.(homemade)
exhaust mani holes cut bung off and welded shut.
no cat...
new wiring harness.
new lower harness to trans not hooked up no sensors on my tran atm.(broken) but the harness is there.
all new fuses/relays.

i know im forgetting a list about this size. i have spent the past 7 months building this car and its been 1 thing after another that has broke. runs stout tho. beat a porche on a highway pull.(barly and was a new base model porche.) have left 350s, 318s HONDAS(DUSTED)... i just cant let my foot off the gas at a stop light(i hold it at 1500 rpm and it will stay but the rpm goes up and down just a lil bit(1300-1700ish)

when the idle is dipping the volts dropes to 12v instead of somewere inbetween 13-14 v. but alt is fine diode is good wiring is good...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cts(both) are new. i put a set screw in and it wouldnt dip more then 200 rpms... and my power wire came loose... tightened both down and atm(1/2 hour of idling/reving ran fine) havent drove but turned my bass on and no difference(would die on a base note under 2k rpm before)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it still dips to 500 rpm rando but it dont die now(aslong as i turn the radio off before i stop...)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
grounds are all good... cleaned all old grounds and added more...(when i get more terminals ima add 3 more to the motor...)

its not all the time either...

today i did roughly 50 miles.
no problem could leave radio on at full blast at a dead stop(no one next to me and when a car got close i turned it down... hate it when people sit at a light with the radio up high...) when the bass hit it went from 1k rpm to 900... on the way home with my radio about 1/4 way (last mile or so) car started to drop to 500 rpm for a sec then ran fine...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it could idle for 20 min fine. then start acting up then go fine again(without moving the car)

why im not thinking anything is loose... but i went threw and checked every connection again and havent drove it since(nowhere to go and no money to just burn gas) tomorrow i gotta go a few miles in the morning will find out if it still is doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts